IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST-SENIOR
|Requesting Department||FIRE - SUPPORT SERVICES BUREAU|
|Open Date||11/6/2020 08:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/30/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Marti Cargile|
* The eligible list created for this position may be used to fill comparable vacancies in other City of Milwaukee departments. *
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The IT Support Specialist-Senior maintains, upgrades, and supports the Milwaukee Fire Department’s computer-aided dispatch system, records management system, servers, software applications, desktop computers, and mobile dispatch computers and peripherals.
- Assist in administering departmental technology, including configuring, operating, and supporting MFD servers and workstations. Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve problems with networked systems, office automation systems, and system configurations.
- Assist in maintaining inventory and warranty records for computer equipment, software, and peripherals; schedule warranty repairs as needed.
- Prepare new hardware and software for use, and install systems.
- Manage small-to-medium information technology projects, including supervising individuals and organizations retained as project resources; implement or serve as a resource for the projects.
- Repair and provide support for other technology equipment.
- Develop training materials, train end-users, and manage system backups.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- The Milwaukee Fire Department operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The IT Support Specialist-Senior participates in a rotating on-call schedule to respond during emergency situations and is expected to monitor departmental phone and email messages during regularly-scheduled off hours.
- The IT Support Specialist-Senior must be able to perform light physical work, including lifting and moving objects up to 10 pounds occasionally.
- Based upon each department's responses to the COVID-19 pandemic and the needs of each department, employees may be expected to work from home intermittently or continuously.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or a closely-related field from an accredited college or university, PLUS
Two years of experience performing systems administration (i.e., configuring, operating, and supporting software, hardware, servers, and workstations) in a Tier 2 information technology support environment.
Valid Driver’s License at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. For example, a related associate’s degree plus four years of experience as described under #2, above, is considered equivalent.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcripts must be legible and include your name, the university name, the degree completed, and the degree completion date.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of network operating systems, client-server concepts, and local area network/wide area network (LAN/WAN) protocols, including Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Domain Name System (DNS), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), and Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
- Knowledge of Windows Active Directory (AD) and group policies.
- Ability to write and use Windows scripting.
- Knowledge and proficiency with UNIX/LINUX operating system (OS) as well as Internet Information Services (IIS) for Windows Server and Apache web server.
- Knowledge of virtual environments, including servers and workstations, virtual private networks (VPNs), and firewall configuration.
- Analytical skills and the ability to use various methodologies and issue resolution techniques to problem-solve and troubleshoot application and hardware issues. Skill in identifying patterns and taking preventive action to avert future system issues.
- Ability to use standard computer software and programs such as word processing and spreadsheet; ability to use the Internet and other resources to conduct research.
- Ability to read and understand documents such as policies, procedures, and technical publications.
- Written communication skills to be able to write clear and concise correspondence, documentation, job aids, and training materials.
- Oral communication, presentation, and training skills to be able to clearly explain information to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Interpersonal, customer service, and active listening skills to be able to interact constructively with colleagues and staff, vendors, and contractors.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team; ability to work cooperatively and effectively with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Organizational, project management, and record-keeping skills.
- Time management skills and the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities.
- Commitment to staying apprised of trends in information technology.
- Honesty and responsible stewardship of departmental resources.
The current salary range (2GN) is $56,767-$72,063, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $58,470-$74,225. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
Defined Benefit Pension Plan
457 Deferred Compensation Plan
Health and Dental Insurance
Comprehensive Wellness Program
Onsite Clinic Services
Onsite Employee Assistance Program
Alternative Work Schedules
Long Term Disability Insurance
Group Life Insurance
11 Paid Holidays
Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
Flexible Spending Arrangement
Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Monday, November 30, 2020. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|