|Open Date||10/12/2020 4:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/2/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
The eligible list resulting from this examination may be used to fill similar City of Milwaukee positions.
The Operations Driver/Workers provide professional driving and critical manual laboring functions, including municipal solid waste and recycling collection, street sweeping, snow and ice control, and operation of heavy equipment for the Department of Public Works. This position is critical to the cleanliness, health and safety of the City, its residents and visitors.
"The Department of Public Works is committed to providing the highest quality of services to its internal and external customers."
- Perform professional commercial driving and operate collection and specialty vehicles.
- Collect and load municipal solid waste or recyclable waste, furniture, miscellaneous items and brush.
- Drive, maintain and operate trucks and special equipment, such as garbage packers, street sweepers, Labries (automated side loading trucks), Vac-alls (vacuum trucks), tri-axle dump trucks, sensor salting trucks, front loading trucks, skid steer trucks, and small tractors in order to perform waste collection, leaf clean-up, plowing, salting, or other ice control operations.
- Serve as a first responder for emergency snow and ice control operations by operating salt trucks, garbage trucks with plows, and other miscellaneous equipment as needed to provide the City of Milwaukee with safe, passable streets throughout the winter season.
- Monitor vehicle condition and perform minor maintenance on trucks such as checking and maintaining fluid levels, greasing, inflating tires, and checking tire tread; report vehicle maintenance needs.
- Modify vehicle-related equipment, including adjusting the broom on street sweepers, connecting plowing blades onto garbage packers, securing loads, and attaching hydraulic lines as needed to maintain optimal equipment performance.
- Operate assigned vehicles safely, and load them within legal weight limits.
- Perform manual labor such as lifting, pushing, and pulling waste carts and other large items such as furniture and brush.
- Provide job related documentation by completing forms for payroll reporting, vehicle service needs, combined collection crew checklist, and residential cart tag notifications.
- Provide professional, courteous waste collection services and assistance to City residents, including providing Sanitation services information, answering questions, listening to complaints/concerns, offering resolution and, when necessary to meet a service need, referring the matter to a supervisor.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
Operations Drive/Worker must be able to do the following:
- Drive and work in inclement weather (e.g., snow and ice) and withstand prolonged exposure to extreme weather conditions (e.g., heat, cold, rain, wind, and snow).
- Respond to emergency call outs and report within 30 minutes at any time during the day or night, any day of the week, for snow and ice control operations and other emergency.
- Work extended hours and beyond normally assigned shifts to meet the needs of the department.
- See clearly both near and far to read signage and perform job duties safely and accurately.
- Perform heavy physical work including lifting, moving, and transferring objects and equipment weighing up to 100 lbs. occasionally, and up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Perform physical activities in the work environment for extended periods of time that require walking long distances, climbing in and out of equipment, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) (Class A or B) without Air Brakes restriction by the date of application period close, throughout the hiring process, and throughout employment.
- Good driving record. Driving records will be checked prior to job offer.
- Appointment to the Operations Driver/Worker positions within the Department of Public Works requires residency within 15 miles of the jurisdictional boundaries of the City of Milwaukee within six months of appointment and throughout appointment to the position pursuant to Rule III, Section 4(f) of the Rules of the City Service Commission. A map defining the jurisdictional boundary is located on the Fire and Police Commission website at: http://city.milwaukee.gov/fpc/Residency-Map.htm#.WPTR5E11qAg.
- You must provide your CDL number by the date of application period close to be considered for this position. The CDL number must be provided on the online application or sent via email to email@example.com. Not providing your CDL number by the date of application period close may result in the application being rejected.
- A CDL may be obtained by passing:
- The General Knowledge and Air Brakes portions of the Commercial Driver’s License test given by the State of Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles.
- A road test administered by an approved third party administrator.
- Please visit the DMV’s website for more information regarding the testing process and third party administrators for the road test: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/com-drv-vehs/cdl-how-aply/cdl-how-to-apply.aspx
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
- By law, persons in these positions are required to pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to random drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment. Candidates must sign a release authorizing the City to receive the results of any drug and alcohol tests conducted by previous employers during the past two years if those tests were required by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- One year of experience driving vehicles over 26,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight, including snow plowing experience.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of safe working practices and ability to safely operate related vehicles and equipment such as trucks, plows, and ice equipment.
- Customer service skills to be able to work effectively with diverse groups of people inside and outside the organization.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as a crew member in a team environment and interact with the public courteously.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with coworkers and citizens whose background may differ from one’s own.
- Oral communication skills to be able to explain the basics of garbage and/or recycling policies, in addition to snow/ice and leaf operations.
- Ability to monitor traffic to ensure safe conditions while working.
- Ability to read, interpret, and learn departmental rules, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret City street maps.
- Ability to make sound judgments in the field.
- Ability to follow directions and schedules.
- Ability to troubleshoot and perform minor maintenance on assigned vehicles such as check and maintain proper fluid levels, tire air pressure, and tread on tires.
The current salary range (Pay Range 8KN) is $40,643-$53,000 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $41,863-$54,590.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Monday, November 2, 2020. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Note: Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for the position will be invited to take the written examination tentatively scheduled on November 23 and 24, 2020. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and license documentation should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 803
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|