DCD ACCOUNTANT LEAD
|Requesting Department||DEPT OF CITY DEVELOPMENT|
|Open Date||12/23/2020 07:20:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/20/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
- Maintain all RACM accounts and provide general accounting entries for all RACM activities.
- Meeting all reporting and audit deadlines related to RACM’s involvement with the Department of City Development (DCD).
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of all RACM accounts and projects and provide City interim financial reports.
- Perform all RACM related banking activities, including the review of fund transfers, maintenance of cash books and investments and account reconciliation.
- Assist other accountants and managers in the provision of needed RACM financial information. Review and reconcile the RACM investment accounts, travel advances and debt activities.
- Maintain the RACM schedule of fixed assets.
- Assume the lead role in the year-end closing of RACM accounting, preparing financial data, closing journal entries and work papers, reviewing ledgers, and providing accounting managers with City account balances to the appropriate ledgers.
- Assist the Grant Budget Specialist in the preparation of the Single Audit.
- Review the work papers and schedules before they are finalized and submitted to the auditor.
- Prepare year-end RACM financial statements and notes.
- Work closely with City and RACM external auditors and staff to precipitate an efficient audit.
- Reconcile and prepare billing to clear DCD reimbursement activity.
- Maintain and reconcile DCD donation account activity.
- Work with the Budget and Management Reporting Manager in the implementation of the annual RACM budget and tracking of budgeted expenditures.
- Participate on the implementation team for RACM software systems and upgrades.
- Serve as a mentor to accounting staff, including training new employees, setting performance expectations and evaluating performance.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university.
- Three years of progressively responsible accounting and financial analysis experience.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- Governmental, inter-agency and complex financial organization accounting experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of financial reporting and budgeting.
- Knowledge of mathematics and the ability to make accurate calculations.
- Skill in conducting research, analyzing complex issues, and formulating recommendations.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contracts, budgets, financial statements, accounting policies and procedures, corporate documents and audit reports.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills to effectively manage direct and indirect reports, including assigning duties, directing work in progress, evaluating job performance, and selecting employees.
- Knowledge of team building, training, and coaching techniques and principles to motivate and empower staff.
- Ability to practice active listening by giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, and asking questions as appropriate.
- Ability to foster an environment of inclusion wherein all employees are treated respectfully, are valued for their strengths, and feel that they can safely express themselves.
- Ability to speak with others to convey information (technical and non-technical) clearly and effectively to people at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in writing such as reports, business correspondence, emails, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to organize work and to effectively and efficiently utilize resources.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify problems and make sound decisions, including situations where only limited information is available.
- Ability to work well independently and to function as part of a team when necessary.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and work within tight time constraints.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism.
- Ability to proficiently use spreadsheet, database, and word processing software.
- Ability to prepare financial statements.
The current salary range (Pay Range 2IX) is $58,462 - $81,844 annually, and the resident incentive salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $60,216 - $84,300. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to the approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Wednesday, January 20, 2021. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.