WATER METER TECHNICIAN
|Open Date||4/28/2021 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/19/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
PLEASE BE ADVISED:
The City of Milwaukee will hold multiple application periods for the Water Meter Technician position in 2021. See the chart below. Only applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job will be invited to the written examination.
Inspection, Installation, Service, Repair and Maintenance:
- Perform water meter exchanges, installations, and repairs for meters in both homes and businesses.
- Install, repair and replace the electronic components of the water meters used in the automated meter reading system.
- Disassemble, clean, repair, test and certify water meters.
- Assemble, program and verify the operation of electronic components of the automated meter reading system.
- Install emergency hose connections.
- Assist the Water Meter Specialist with installation, removal, testing and repair of compound, turbine, mag and fire service meters.
- Perform water turn-offs for non-compliance with repair or access orders.
- Perform service pipe thawing to restore water service.
- Perform inventory control tasks, including the preparation of meters for use in the field.
- Install and inspect equipment/meters for hydrant use permits and verify proper permitting.
- Report any water theft to supervisors.
- Respond to and resolve customer complaints of low water pressure, no water, meter tampering and meter leaks.
- Communicate promptly with office staff, the Water Control Center, customer service and supervision regarding investigation results, action taken and other information needed to determine the next course of action.
- Complete paperwork including work orders, timesheets and corrective action notices and submit to supervisors in a timely manner.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to climb ladders, enter confined spaces and wear confined space safety equipment.
- Must be able to lift, move or transfer objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time.
1. Two years of full-time experience installing, adjusting, repairing and maintaining meters.
-OR - Two years of full-time plumbing or other mechanical experience.
2. Valid Wisconsin driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience performing basic plumbing repairs.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of basic plumbing practices, tools and supplies.
- Knowledge of precision measuring equipment and water hydraulics.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize basic hand tools to repair mechanical equipment, including wrenches, wedges and hammers.
- Ability to disassemble and assemble piping systems, operate hydrants and lifts and connect larger hoses for temporary water service applications.
- Ability to navigate the MWW customer service area, including the cities of Milwaukee, St. Francis, Greenfield and Hales Corners.
- Ability to operate a handheld tablet used for tracking and updating work orders in real time.
- Ability to attend training to maintain skills and knowledge of plumbing systems and codes.
Communication, Customer Service & Interpersonal
- Customer service skills required to positively interact with customers in their homes.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with coworkers and customers whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Verbal communication skills to explain technical information to co-workers and customers.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively interact with co-workers and work as a productive team member. Ability to remain diplomatic, tactful and courteous with co-workers, customers and the public, including during adverse situations.
Time Management and Judgement
- Ability to work independently and to meet or exceed daily scheduled appointments.
- Problem-solving skills to assess problems in the field and determine the best course of action.
- Ability to perform all work assignments safely.
Water Meter Technician
The current starting salary rate (PR 7DN) is $39,220 annually, and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $40,397.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following: ·
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be accepted and interviews held as often as required to meet the needs of the City. Qualified applicants will be notified of the time and location of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee. The names of successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list in a rank determined by the final score without reference to the date of the examination. The names of candidates who pass all phases of the selection process may remain on an eligible list resulting from a continuous examination for up to six months.
Candidates may take an examination for this position only once every six months.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 702
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|