EQUIPMENT MECHANIC III
|Open Date||7/1/2021 4:45:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/6/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Marti Cargile|
DPW-Forestry manages vegetation on 121.8 miles of boulevards, 57 tot lots, 59 greenspaces, 20 designated municipal properties, and 20 downtown above-ground planters. This position is key to the support of these activities.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
POWER EQUIPMENT REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE
- Diagnose and make minor and major repairs to outdoor power equipment and Forestry-maintained specialty vehicles such as skid loaders, chippers, mowers, and tractors, including 2-cycle and 4-cycle gas/diesel engines; transmission and power-train components; electrical, fuel and ignition systems; hydraulic systems; spray pumps and apparatus; and tires and trailers.
- Schedule and perform preventive maintenance on Forestry Section equipment, including fluid changes, lubrication, mower blade sharpening and replacement, tune-ups, multi-point inspections, and wear component replacement to maximize equipment service life and minimize equipment breakdown and downtime.
- Perform repairs that require heating, cutting with an oxygen-acetylene torch, welding and light carpentry work to fabricate frame and body components, using specialty tools, and making repairs to equipment, framing, vehicles, and trailers.
- Operate various pieces of machinery and hand power tools to complete repairs; fabricate materials associated with the maintenance and repairs of Forestry outdoor power equipment.
- Support Forestry field operations by responding to service calls, performing field diagnostic and light repairs, transporting equipment, and performing off-site maintenance in Forestry districts.
- Maintain a safe and orderly personal workspace and shop environment for employees by performing general shop clean-up and conducting safety and cleanliness inspections.
- Maintain inventory and order and store incidental parts.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
*** The Equipment Mechanic III is considered essential staff during the current public health emergency. ***
The Equipment Mechanic III must be able to do the following:
Use standard industry hand tools to perform the job in a safe and efficient manner.
Lift up to 20 pounds consistently and up to 50 pounds frequently; exert force to move objects weighing up to 100 pounds with assistance occasionally.
As needed, work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
Tolerate various environmental conditions indoors and out (e.g., noise, vibration, dirt, and pollen).
Perform physical activities in work environments that require walking and standing, crawling, crouching, stooping, kneeling, reaching, balancing, pushing, and pulling.
Wear appropriate safety and personal protective equipment (PPE), including a respirator.
Work beyond assigned shifts to respond to various emergencies, as snow and ice operations and other emergencies may require the Equipment Mechanic III to work at any time during the day or night, any day of the week.
Two years of experience repairing and overhauling outdoor power equipment and specialty vehicles used in the landscape and tree care industry.
Valid driver's license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of training, experience, and job-related certifications may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for technical school, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application or submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Welding experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of current procedures, processes, methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in outdoor power equipment repairs and maintenance and repair facilities.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures used in making mechanical repairs.
- Knowledge of the administrative and housekeeping duties associated with operating and maintaining a repair facility.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge and deductive reasoning to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair equipment quickly, accurately, and safely.
- Ability to receive and apply unique technical information to the repair of specialty pieces of equipment.
- Ability to use various equipment types in diagnostic and preparation steps for repairs such as electrical current meters, electronic and mechanical diagnostic equipment, gauges, hones, bench and portable grinders, taps, boring machines, micrometers, pneumatic and hand power tools, and specialty tools and machinery common to small engine/equipment repairs.
- Knowledge of and ability to diagnose and troubleshoot 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines, fuel delivery systems, ignition systems, electrical systems, and wiring.
- Ability to operate the tools and equipment required to maintain and repair equipment.
- Ability to cut and weld metals using oxyacetylene or arc welding equipment.
- Ability to understand technical manuals and information required to perform maintenance and repair.
- Ability to work cooperatively with coworkers, representatives of other departments, and the public, including people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to maintain accurate equipment maintenance records.
- Honesty, integrity, and stewardship of departmental resources.
The current starting salary (7CN) is $40,639 annually, and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $41,858 annually.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
Defined Benefit Pension Plan
457 Deferred Compensation Plan
Health and Dental Insurance
Comprehensive Wellness Program
Onsite Clinic Services
Onsite Employee Assistance Program
Alternative Work Schedules
Long Term Disability Insurance
Group Life Insurance
11 Paid Holidays
Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
Flexible Spending Arrangement
Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job-related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after
Friday, July 23, 2021 Currently extended to Friday, August 6, 2021. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|