ERS NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR
|Requesting Department||EMPLOYES' RETIREMENT SYSTEM|
|Open Date||11/18/2021 09:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/9/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
Network Administration and Documentation:
- Perform maintenance, upgrades, deployments, and support for all Cisco and other networking hardware (routers, controllers, switches, and firewalls).
- Review and update all documentation, including diagrams, support plans, and metrics reporting on a monthly, quarterly, ad hoc, and/or yearly basis.
- Perform evolution and lifecycle management, including implementation, rotation, and decommissioning of all equipment.
- Produce recommendations and plans for improvements to security, systems, and architectural designs.
- Implement and support technologies for disaster recovery locations and processes.
- Ensure that the ERS is following the best practices for systems and procedures.
- Analyze security-related vulnerabilities and provide remediation; ensure proper security protocols, systems and procedures are implemented and followed.
- Protect the network from attack and security vulnerabilities; respond to and resolve problems found via alert and notification systems.
Technical Team Support:
- Support the IT team and the ERS with routine and process-oriented patching; enhancements to desktops, laptops, and other computing devices; end-user support; disaster recovery and support of Windows Server, Linux/UNIX, security, and VMware environments.
- Serve on the professional technology support team, responsible for IT governance, applications, and infrastructure for the ERS.
- Perform maintenance, upgrades, deployments.
- Participate in the on-call support rotation; monitor and perform backups and disaster recovery.
- Provide hands-on assistance and training for other IT staff on system support, maintenance and upgrades.
- Work with the IT team on storage area network maintenance, upgrades, and support.
- Monitor, maintain, and improve disaster recovery objectives; participate in and lead disaster recovery tests for the IT team and business users.
Project Management and Documentation:
- Use project management tools and methodologies to implement new initiatives.
- Responsible for asset management, IT inventory tracking, correct software licensing and related inventory.
- Use tools for asset management, reporting, and the deployment of scripts and software installations; ensure correct software licensing and related inventory.
- Produce status reports on any projects and activities governed by the Project Management Office; and generate cost/benefit analysis documents for proposed IT projects and activities.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
Individuals who complete an application for general City employment on or after September 1, 2021 and are subsequently appointed to a position must provide proof of being vaccinated against COVID-19 (i.e., received both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) or have an approved religious or medical accommodation within ten business days of their employment start date.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, management information systems or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of experience in the following areas:
- supporting Windows desktop, Linux/UNIX, and Windows server operating systems;
- supporting Cisco routers, controllers, switches, firewalls and other network equipment in a multi-location environment;
- completing upgrades and implementations on a regular basis; and
- performing functions relative to the support, development, and deployment of network equipment in a highly available, loss/downtime-averse and redundant network.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. .Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- Cisco Certified Internetworking Engineer (CCIE), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Network+, VMware, Microsoft and other job-related certifications.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Ability to complete successful upgrades and implementations on a regular basis.
- Ability to support, develop and deploy network equipment in a highly available, loss/downtime-averse and redundant network.
- Ability to support Cisco routers, controllers, switches, firewalls and other network equipment in a multi-location environment.
- Knowledge of Windows desktop, Linux/UNIX, and Windows server operating systems in order to create and support highly available and redundant technical environments through the use of critically advanced and complex infrastructure best practices and methodologies.
- Knowledge of necessary network hardware, security, and software maintenance methods.
- Knowledge of disaster recovery approaches and protocols.
- Knowledge of VoIP and/or networking solutions that involve the integration of voice and data systems.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and policies.
- Must be highly motivated, responsible, self-directed, and well-organized.
- Ability to take initiative to continuously improve IT operations and systems.
- Ability to create and support high availability and redundant technical environments using sound infrastructure best practices and methodologies.
Interpersonal and Communication
- Written communication and documentation skills, including the ability to write reports, correspondence and technical documentation.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical information in an understandable way for both technical and non-technical staff.
- Training skills to be able to provide team and end-user support to individuals of all ability levels.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with ERS management, staff, support personnel, other City/State/agency department personnel, outside vendors and consultants.
- Ability to be self-directed and work in a collaborative environment with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own
- Ability to work with diverse personalities and cultural backgrounds respectfully in an inclusive and professional manner.
Critical Thinking and Planning
- Ability to organize workload, materials and schedule to ensure effective project coordination and product inventory to meet deliverables.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems with minimal direct supervision and assistance.
- Ability to re-prioritize work as needed to meet business priorities and resolve problems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly restricted information.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to remain professional at all times.
- Initiative, honesty and integrity.
The current salary range (Pay Range 2LX) is $70,827- $99,154 annually, and the resident incentive salary range is $72,952-$102,129. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the application deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|