City of Milwaukee 9-1-1
Telecommunicators provide for the operation of the Milwaukee Police and Fire
Departments’ Computer Aided Dispatch System and Enhanced 9-1-1 system. Requests
for service vary from life threatening emergency responses to fulfilling legal
and administrative requirements for police or fire personnel involvement.
· Receive, prioritize, document and handle calls for 911 emergency
and non-emergency calls for assistance from the public and protective service
(Police and Fire) personnel.
· Update information as received, entering it into the Computer
Aided Dispatch System (CAD).
· Refer callers to other agencies according to the needs expressed
and/or information required by callers.
· Determine the significance of requests for service and assign an
appropriate level of protective service resources.
· Work collaboratively with district supervisors and incident
command to monitor and control the response of personnel to calls for service
or emergency situations.
· Operate, enter and retrieve information using the CAD and Department
· Respond promptly and effectively to requests received by radio
from protective service personnel and/or supervisors for personnel, equipment
or other stated needs.
· Monitor the status of units, which are out of service and take
· Report noncompliance by personnel with prescribed rules, operating
procedures, or FCC regulations to department supervisory staff.
· Receive and process emergency and non-emergency calls for service
received through the enhanced 9-1-1 system and other means.
· Contact callers who may be receiving a delayed response to their
service request, to determine whether to dispatch police or fire personnel or
whether an alternative response is appropriate.
· Perform all duties consistent with Department policy.
accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be
made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as
amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
· Technical Communications and Technical Services Divisions maintain
operations on a 24/7 basis.
· Work all shifts as assigned, including night shift
· Work most weekends, holidays, rotating days off and overtime when
1. At least 18 years old at time
2. United States citizenship, or
be legally authorized to work permanently for any employer within the United
3. Must successfully pass a
4. Six months experience as a
fire, police or ambulance dispatcher, or Protective Service
o Two years of experience with
multi-faceted customer contact or
o Telephone work performing
duties such as receiving and/or resolving complaints, problem solving, quick
decision making, multi-tasking or
Having responsibility for giving and receiving information in high
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
· Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, including "short keys"
allowing for rapid navigation within programs.
· Knowledge of Computer program operations.
· Knowledge of City boundaries and boundaries of suburban
communities; major buildings, landmarks, and major streets in the City of
· Ability to perform several tasks simultaneously, especially
listening, talking and typing.
· Ability to actively listen to callers, establishing rapport, and
ask appropriate questions to quickly assess their needs.
· Ability to effectively communicate with a wide variety of callers
from different socioeconomic and ethnic groups, often in stressful, emergency
or difficult situations.
· Ability to quickly identify the most important information
provided by callers.
· Ability to quickly and accurately enter information, including
numerical data, into the C.A.D. system in standard English, in a readable
· Ability to maintain composure during emergencies and when
interacting with challenging customers.
· Ability to memorize codes, names, street locations, landmarks, and
· Ability to learn new procedures.
· Ability to use standard English and rules regarding English
grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
· Ability to speak and understand English clearly over
· Ability to read maps rapidly and accurately. Ability to work in a
seated position for long periods of time.
The current starting salary rate (PR 5IN) is $43,326 annually, with an increase to $47,274
after successfully completing a six month probationary period. The
resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $44,656 annually,
with an increase to $48,693 after successfully completing a six month
The City of Milwaukee offers a comprehensive benefits program that
includes the following:
· Defined Benefit Pension Plan
· 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
· Health and Dental Insurance
· Comprehensive Wellness Program
· Onsite Clinic Services
· Onsite Employee Assistance Program
· Alternative Work Schedules
· Long Term Disability Insurance
· Group Life Insurance
· Tuition Benefits
· Paid Vacation
· 11 Paid Holidays
· Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
· Flexible Spending Arrangement
· Commuter Value Pass
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one
or more of the following: written job simulation exercise, job performance
test, typing test, and/or oral interview. Applicants must qualify on all parts
of the examination. Qualified candidates will be notified of the date, time and
location of the examination.
If you will be unavailable for one or more portions of the
examination due to military service or training, you must provide email
notification to email@example.com or written notification to the Fire and
Police Commission, City Hall Room 705 prior to the examination.
ELIGIBLE LIST: This will be a continuous recruitment with the position
being posted and accepting new applicants several times in 2021 and 2022.
Candidates who successfully pass the examination process will be placed on an
eligible list, with ranking based upon the test scores plus any applicable
preference points (see below).
PREFERENCE POINTS: Preference points may
be added to the final passing score in accordance with State Statutes and Fire
and Police Commission Rules. All preference point documentation must be
submitted by the application deadline. Documentation can be attached to the
application or submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application
deadline of January 28, 2022. When submitting preference point
documentation via email the subject line MUST read “911 Telecommunicator
· Qualified veterans will
receive military preference points added to the final passing score; a DD-214
is required as proof of service.
· Preference points may be
added to the final passing score, if you are a bona fide resident of the City
of Milwaukee when you apply; proof of residency must be provided.
APPOINTMENTS: Final appointment as a 9-1-1 Operator is contingent
upon passing all pre-employment components, the number of vacancies, and approval
by the Fire and Police Commission.
Examination, Psychological evaluation and drug test:
Individuals offered employment must pass a pre-employment medical examination,
psychological evaluation, and drug test as a condition of employment.
ELIGIBLE LIST and APPOINTMENTS: Candidates who
successfully qualify on all parts of the examination are placed on an eligible
list in order of final score. Qualified veterans will receive military
preference points added to the final passing score in accordance with State
Statutes and Fire and Police Commission Rules. The eligible list will remain in
effect for two years from the date of adoption or until exhausted, unless
rescinded or extended by the Fire and Police Commission. Appointments are
contingent upon the number of vacancies and passing a background investigation
and medical examination, including a drug screen test.
APPLICATIONS will be accepted
through Friday, January 28, 2022. Application materials can be accessed at
www.jobaps.com/MIL. Additional information about the application process can be
obtained by emailing email@example.com or in person
at City of Milwaukee Department of Employee Relations, Room 705, City Hall, 200
E Wells St, Milwaukee, WI 53202-3554, or by calling 414.286.5000. Applications
will not be accepted after the deadline, unless extended.