EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT SPECIALIST
|Requesting Department||DEPARTMENT OF EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS|
|Open Date||5/4/2022 2:40:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/16/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Aisha Hendree|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old-world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
- Maintain calendars, schedule live and virtual meetings and conference calls, and carry out special projects.
- Compose, proofread, edit, and format general and confidential correspondence and other documents using software such as Microsoft Word.
- Conduct research and prepare statistical reports using software such as Microsoft Excel.
- Create and add polish to presentations using software such as Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Prepare invoices and financial statements.
- Receive visitors, take incoming calls, and handle information requests.
- Serve as a liaison for daily operations to other departments such as the Milwaukee Police Department (MPD), Milwaukee Fire Department (MFD), Department of Administration-Information and Technology Management Division (DOA-ITMD), Common Council, and Fire and Police Commission (FPC).
- Monitor Common Council, FPC, and other meetings regarding issues of interest to the department; process and prepare Common Council files and resolutions.
- Oversee departmental records by creating and maintaining file systems.
- Create and maintain the administrative record retention schedule and procedures, including overseeing records destruction in accordance with established city protocols.
- Train employees on record retention procedures and compliance monitoring.
- Train and assist new and existing support staff and other departmental personnel with proper procedures in day-to-day operations.
- Assist in creating and maintaining the departmental rule/procedure book.
- Work collaboratively with and provide back-up support for departmental administrative support positions.
Conditions of Employment
1. Associate degree in business management, communications, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
2. Two years of experience providing high-level administration support.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without transcripts will be considered incomplete and may be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of customer service best practices.
- Knowledge of administrative support methods, systems, and terminology.
- Ability to efficiently use office equipment, such as telephones, computers, and copiers.
- Keyboarding skills and proficiency using standard applications such as Microsoft Office to create documents, use spreadsheets and charts, generate reports, and develop presentations.
- Ability to read and understand job procedures, personnel policies, statutes, and ordinances.
- Skill in proofreading documents to ensure that they are publication-ready; knowledge of English language grammatical and punctuation conventions.
- Ability to manage a high level of detail in order to ensure accuracy in maintenance of files and databases.
- Verbal communication skills to be able to clearly and tactfully share information with internal and external customers.
- Written communication skills to be able to write correspondence, reports, and other documents that are well‑crafted and error-free.
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills to be able to build effective working relationships with managers, fellow staff, and other contacts.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Social perceptiveness to be able to ask clarifying questions and gain others’ support for ideas.
- Ability to recognize and resolve problems.
- Ability to organize workflow to meet the goals of the position.
- Ability to complete assignments and meet deadlines despite frequent interruptions and shifting priorities.
- Ability to work independently, show initiative, and continually improve processes.
- Attention to detail and the ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to exhibit exemplary professionalism and maintain composure in sensitive situations.
- Ability to use sound judgment.
- Honesty, integrity, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after May 16, 2022. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|