|Requesting Department||CITY ATTORNEY|
|Open Date||6/10/2022 4:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/1/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
document preparation and review, interviews clients and witnesses and prepares for trial.
- Summarize legal issues, defenses and/or claim files; investigate, collect and organize facts in connection with hearing preparation and litigation.
- Draft filings; research and analyze relevant court decisions, legislative documents and public records.
- Prepare drafts of affidavits, pleadings, motions and related correspondence and memoranda.
- Prepare confidential materials, proposals, reports and contact information.
- Respond to inquiries for records and issue invoices for records provided to third parties; download records from the electronic medical portal onto Evault, maintain filing systems both electronically and physically and assist with record retention schedules while ensuring confidentiality of all materials.
- Serve as the docket clerk for all litigation; maintain spreadsheets relative to litigation activity.
- Maintain and develop annual reports for the Comptroller, Department of Workforce Development (DWD), Budget Office, Common Council and leadership, including running and designing reports, conducting research and collecting data.
- Assist in developing training materials; maintain an index of office protocols.
- Manage the subrogation process and provide timely responses to the third-party administrator, third party carriers and attorneys, enabling the City to recover costs; manage uninsured motorist claim inquiries by the contracted attorney.
- Respond to and track Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) inquiries for Medicare reimbursement for claims in which there may be liability under Worker’s Compensation; approve or deny requests for reimbursement after a file audit and process payment approval or denial.
- Perform general administrative functions including sorting and distributing incoming and outgoing mail, developing and documenting office procedures and protocols, staffing the Automatic Call Distribution (ACD) call line, purchasing office items and scheduling meetings.
Conditions of Employment
- Two years of administrative support experience as a paralegal or research assistant performing duties closely related to this position.
- Paralegal certification from an accredited program.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of basic legal principles, legal research methodology and principals of legal analysis.
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply the laws, rules and regulations relative to worker’s compensation, including State Statute Chapter 102.
- Ability to read and interpret policies, procedures, regulations and other compliance-related documents and laws.
- Ability to access information sources such as statutes, ordinances, decisions, legal articles and documents.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize related computer software programs, including the Microsoft Office Suite and data backup systems such as Evault.
- Ability to engage in electronic discovery.
- Ability to conduct legal research using all available resources.
- Ability to prepare accurate and effective written communications, including reports, documents and correspondence.
- Ability to verbally communicate complex legal issues and decisions.
- Ability to provide services in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse, collaborative and team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to work with others in a diplomatic and professional manner.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to function independently.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to analyze and organize data and files.
- Ability to work under pressure calmly and effectively.
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and meet multiple deadlines and adapt to changing situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and protect information in compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Ability to plan and prioritize responsibilities to meet deadlines and adjust priorities as necessary.
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass