Fire HVAC Maintenance Technician
|Requesting Department||FIRE - SUPPORT SERVICES BUREAU|
|Open Date||11/4/2022 09:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/28/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Aisha Hendree|
- Troubleshoot, repair, service, and maintain heating equipment, including forced air, hydronic, and steam heat. Troubleshoot, repair, service, and maintain air handling equipment, including central air conditioning, portable air conditioners, exhaust fans, vehicle exhaust extraction systems, and air filtration systems.
- Perform general plumbing repairs and maintenance such as hot and cold-water lines, sink drains, faucets, garbage disposal units, toilets, sump pumps, water heaters, sewer lines, and pipes.
- Troubleshoot, repair, service, and maintain appliances located in the station houses (i.e., gas stoves, refrigerators, commercial and residential washing machines, and humidifiers).
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair fuel dispensing equipment to State of Wisconsin certification standards, and repair emergency generators.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair overhead doors, air compressors, and major shop equipment such as table saws and planers.
- Consult with supervisors in regard to outside services, and assist with budgetary recommendations.
- Use laptop computers and other telecommunication devices to test and maintain equipment.
Conditions of Employment
- Work weekends, holidays, different shifts, hours beyond the work schedule, and emergency call-ins.
- Tolerate a variety of fumes, odors, and gases produced by various equipment and/or chemicals.
- Lift and carry up to 100 pounds of material or equipment and more weight with assistance.
- Work from ladders and scaffolding. · Work in confined crawl spaces and at considerable heights.
- Deal with a wide variety of environmental conditions in the work place (indoor and outdoor such as extreme cold, heat, hazards, and atmospheric conditions).
- Three years of full-time experience in the maintenance and repair of HVAC/refrigeration equipment and other mechanical, electrical and electronic automated building systems. OR
- An Associate Degree in the HVAC field (installation and repair of HVAC equipment) from an accredited college or university AND one year of full-time experience in the maintenance and repair of HVAC/refrigeration equipment and other mechanical, electrical and electronic automated building systems.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers
- Four years of experience in HVAC repair and/or maintenance.
- Building automation control system experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of building and mechanical preventive maintenance programs.
- Knowledge of general hand tools and various machines associated with HVAC repair and maintenance duties.
- Knowledge of boilers, HVAC systems, and plumbing, including controls on heating units, such as motorized valves, relays, condensate pumps, high and low water pressure cutoffs, damper controls, and thermostats.
- Knowledge of the safety requirements and occupational hazards of repair shops.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, blueprints, plans, technical specifications, and sequence of operations.
- Practical knowledge of mathematics to be able to take measurements, make calculations, and use basic geometry.
- General knowledge of basic computer programs and keyboarding skills.
- Ability to learn specific computer programs associated with the position.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply safety principles and practices as they apply to the HVAC field.
- Ability to work productively in both on-demand and preventive maintenance work environments.
- Ability to work efficiently both independently and perform effectively under pressure and within rigid timeframes.
- Ability to apply basic troubleshooting techniques in the field and resolve problems efficiently and independently. Honesty and the ability to use City resources responsibly.
- Verbal communication skills to effectively convey information to other staff members and managers.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and customers whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills to be able to develop and maintain effective working relationships with managers and colleagues.
- Ability to be diplomatic, tactful, and courteous with co-workers, customers, and the public, including in adverse situations.
- APPLICATIONS and further information can be accessed by visiting https://www.jobapscloud.com/MIL/.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|