LEGAL OFFICE ASSISTANT-LEAD
|Requesting Department||CITY ATTORNEY|
|Open Date||11/18/2022 2:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/9/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Legal Office Assistant - Lead functions as the executive legal secretary to the Deputy City Attorneys and provides office support services to Assistant City Attorneys.
- Perform legal administrative work, including processing, preparing, typing, and copying various documents, including briefs, pleadings, correspondence, opinions, ordinances, contracts and agreements.
- Transcribe legal briefs, pleadings, correspondence, agreements and other legal documents in matters pending before local, state and federal regulatory bodies, boards, and commissions.
- Provide back-up administrative services to other legal sections.
- Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers by phone and in person, including responding to inquiries and explaining departmental policies and procedures.
Data and File Management
- Enter, update, and maintain data in various computer databases.
- Maintain filing system including filing documents in paper and electronic formats.
- Assist Deputy City Attorneys and Assistant City Attorneys with gathering necessary case information.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Four years of administrative support experience, including at least two years performing legal support functions in a law office or other legal setting.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered, but two years of experience in a law office is required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of legal documents, briefs, pleadings, correspondence, and procedures.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures.
- Ability to read and understand work related documents.
- Ability to utilize the Microsoft Office Suite and Case Management software such as ProLaw and/or eDocs.
- Knowledge of the structure and use of the English language including word meaning, spelling, composition and grammar.
- Verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with residents, co-workers and management.
- Written communication skills to prepare documents and reports.
- Ability to use logic to determine the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches to problems.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people, including coworkers, supervisors, public officials, people in other departments and the public.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to individuals from all economic, educational, and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to remain composed during stressful situations.
- Ability to manage a high level of detail with accuracy.
- Ability to be adaptable to changing situations.
- Ability to coordinate and organize work assignments and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to coordinate meetings and manage calendars for supervisors and staff.
- Ability to process mail, manage supplies, and ensure that office equipment is properly maintained.
- Ability to handle sensitive information carefully.
- Honesty, integrity, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
The current starting salary (Pay Range 6NN) is $45,913 annually and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $47,291 annually. Appointment will be made in accordance with the provisions of the salary ordinance.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|