TRADE DEVELOPMENT REPRESENTATIVE
|Requesting Department||PORT MILWAUKEE|
|Open Date||12/15/2022 10:15:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/6/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its charm with a breathtaking art museum, top-flight cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Trade Development Representative provides support to the Market Development Manager and the Municipal Port Director in the administration and promotion of the Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) 41. A link to information about FTZ 41 in the Milwaukee metropolitan area can be found here: https://portmilwaukee.com/Port-Mke/Foreign-Trade-Zone.
Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) Administration and Analysis
- Assist with the promotion of the Port of Milwaukee’s FTZ 41.
- Prepare FTZ operating agreements and maintain related files.
- Collect data from companies participating in the Port’s FTZ 41 initiative and complete required federal reports and statistics.
Marketing and Promotion of Port Milwaukee
- Serve as the main point of contact for international cruise lines doing business on the Great Lakes.
- Represent the Port as a liaison to community groups, trade organizations and other stakeholders.
- Maintain and improve the Port’s website.
- Promote cargo through the Port by establishing relationships with ocean carriers, barge services, truck lines, railroads, and the customers that use the transportation services.
- Develop and execute strategic marketing strategies on an annual basis.
- Stay informed of Great Lakes St. Lawrence Seaway knowledge and advocacy areas.
- Contribute to the design of promotional material to market the trade zone to potential users.
General Port Business Administration
- Develop and maintain a leasehold database of lease terms and conditions.
- Collect and perform statistical analyses on data concerning vessel and cargo movements.
- Track, manage and report data for grants.
- Provide gathered data to the Finance Division for billing purposes.
- Manage reservations and permitting for Urban Park, including fireworks, private and community events.
Conditions of Employment
Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s Covid-19 Vaccination Policy here.
- Must be willing to travel outside the City of Milwaukee, including occasional overnight and international travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in transportation, marketing, business,
economics, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
Associate’s degree in marketing, logistics, sales, finance or a related field from an accredited college or university plus two years of related experience in data management, collection and analysis, marketing, or as an account representative.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
- Valid U.S. Passport within six months of appointment and throughout employment.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) issued by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) within six months of appointment and maintained throughout employment. NOTE: To obtain a TWIC, an individual must provide biographic and biometric information such as fingerprints, sit for a digital photograph, and successfully pass a security threat assessment conducted by TSA. To learn more, visit http://www.tsa.gov.
NOTICE: Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers.
- Experience in the truck or ocean shipping industry.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
- Ability to develop different types of marketing material for use with various media.
- Knowledge of marketing strategies and market research methods.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the transportation industry, including intermodal transportation and port operations
- Ability to read and interpret complex work-related documents.
- Ability to develop marketing and promotion strategies and produce effective marketing materials.
- Ability to collect, maintain, and analyze data and produce reports to support marketing and business development.
- Proficiency using computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to express oneself clearly in interactions with others and positively represent the department.
- Ability to make presentations to groups of various sizes and to speak persuasively, including before committees, boards and business associations.
- Ability to produce clear and concise reports, data analysis, letters, memos, and marketing materials.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with others whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain effective relationships across levels of organizations with industry contacts, government officials, coworkers, community representatives and the general public.
- Ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying external and internal customers.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to promote teamwork and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team.
- Ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Ability to independently prioritize responsibilities, organize assignments, and manage time to complete tasks based on organizational goals.
- Ability to set challenging goals, focus effort on the goals, and meet or exceed them.
- Ability to recognize and adapt to ever-changing market conditions and other circumstances.
- Skill in identifying information needed to clarify a situation, seeking the information from appropriate sources and using skillful questioning to draw out the information from others.
- Ability to approach a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Ability to use sound judgment when making decisions.
- Honesty and integrity and the ability to protect the confidentiality of job-related information.
- Ability to remain professional at all times.
The current salary range (Pay Range 2IX) is $59,632 - $83,481 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $61,421 - $85,986. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE – The examination will be held as soon as practical after the application deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- Applications and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.