OFFICE ASSISTANT II - MPD
|Requesting Department||Milwaukee Police Department|
|Open Date||5/23/2023 4:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/18/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Tiffeny Marsh|
If you are looking to start a career in administrative support in an office setting, this may be the position you’ve been seeking! Working in the Milwaukee Police Department (MPD) is interesting and rewarding and offers opportunities for advancement. Three shifts are available, and Office Assistant IIs receive excellent benefits, described below!
Office Assistant II openings are primarily available for second and third shifts; however, a limited number of first shift openings may be available. Each eight-hour shift includes a 20-minute paid lunch.
First (Day) Shift:
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Second (Early) Shift:
4:00 p.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Third (Late) Shift:
12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The City of Milwaukee Police Department employs Office Assistant IIs in various divisions. Under supervision, the Office Assistant IIs type letters, reports, records, and other documents and perform a variety of clerical duties.
- Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
- Provide excellent customer service to residents, representatives of other departments, and outside agencies via phone and in person, including responding to inquiries and explaining departmental policies and procedures.
- Prepare and process letters, email messages, crime incident reports, and other documents accurately and completely using Microsoft Word and other software programs.
- Proofread written materials to ensure accuracy and correct grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, and spelling.
- File documents and create, maintain, update, and organize electronic and hard copy files.
- Enter, update, and maintain data, such as criminal records, in various computer databases.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment, including copiers, printers, and fax machines.
- Organize and prioritize assigned work to meet deadlines.
- Prepare meeting agendas, attend meetings, and record minutes.
- Maintain supervisors’ schedules and manage various calendars for staff such as meeting and vacation calendars.
MAIL AND SUPPLIES PROCESSING
- Assist with processing incoming and outgoing mail to ensure it reaches the proper recipients.
- Assist with completing and mailing bills, checks, invoices, contracts, and/or policies.
- Assist in conducting inventory and ordering office supplies.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Office Assistants may be required to work weekends and holidays on occasion to meet departmental needs.
- Office Assistants must be able to stand and walk as well as perform light physical work, including exerting up to 10 pounds of force to lift and move objects.
- Must be able to pass an MPD background investigation before hire. See “SELECTION PROCESS,” below.
- Availability to work full-time during assigned shift (see possible shift assignments listed above in the “INTRODUCTION” section).
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
NOTICE: Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of general office procedures, systems, terminology, and equipment.
- Ability to read and understand work-related documents.
- Ability to follow instructions given by superiors.
- Proficiency using the basic features of word processing, spreadsheet, and email software to type letters, memos, and messages as well as to enter and edit data accurately.
- Knowledge of English writing mechanics and the ability to proofread documents and reports.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations to be able to double-check bills, statements, and supply orders.
INTERPERSONAL AND CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills to be able to work effectively with both sworn and non-sworn supervisors and coworkers.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with others whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Customer service skills, empathy, and tact to be able to serve the public and represent the department positively.
- Ability to organize and complete work assignments in a timely manner.
- Ability to accurately maintain numerical and alphabetical filing systems.
- Ability to manage calendars for supervisors and staff.
- Ability to process mail and manage supplies.
- Ability to handle sensitive information carefully.
- Ability to remain composed during stressful situations.
- Honesty and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
The current starting salary (Pay Range 6EN) is $32,460 annually, and the current resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $33,434.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of education, experience and/or responses to supplemental questions; a written or performance test, a structured interview or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to structured interviews and performance examinations. Structured interviews may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the application deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
NOTE 1: The selection process is a written test and proficiency test in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook (Version 2010) for all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications. Candidates who pass both the parts of the exam process will be placed on the eligible list. The selection process is scheduled as follows (subject to change):
NOTE 2: To be hired by the Milwaukee Police Department, candidates must pass an MPD background investigation before hire. Your application will be rejected if you have been convicted of a felony.
- APPLICATIONS can be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|