ENGINEERING DRAFTING TECHNICIAN IV
|Requesting Department||DPW - INFRASTRUCTURE|
|Open Date||10/20/2023 11:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/27/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
Under direction of the Electrical Engineer III / Engineering Tech VI, the Engineering Drafting Technician IV conducts investigations, performs planning, designs and layouts. They also estimate costs in conjunction with various types of permit review, utility improvements and the City Underground Conduit (CUC) capital improvement program.
CUC-RELATED PERMIT REVIEW, PLANNING, AND DESIGN
- Review permit requests for their impact on City street lighting and CUC facilities. Compile and provide information regarding current lighting and CUC facilities, work required to eliminate conflicts, and deposits necessary for street lighting and CUC work to be completed by City forces to contractors, architects, public utilities, and other City, County, and State governmental agencies.
- Coordinate the protection, adjustment, or relocation of street lighting and CUC facilities in conjunction with City projects or to accommodate other public or private construction projects.
- Perform planning, drafting, field investigation, feasibility studies, data gathering, final site layout, plan preparation, cost estimates, work orders, timetables, and material lists in conjunction with street lighting and CUC capital improvement projects. Maintain records and perform all planning and design work related to the installation, operation, maintenance, or removal of City alley lighting and CUC facilities.
- Receive and investigate complaints and requests for additional lighting and CUC facilities from alderpersons and City residents.
Conditions of Employment
- The Engineering Drafting Technician IV performs light physical work, including kneeling, crouching, reaching, pushing, pulling, performing repetitive motions, and lifting and moving objects weighing up to 10 pounds occasionally.
- Associate Degree in civil engineering from an accredited college or university AND two years of experience in civil engineering, computer-aided drafting (CAD), computer-aided design and drafting (CADD), surveying, and/or mapping performing duties similar to the essential functions listed above, OR four years of experience as described.
- . Valid driver’s license at the time of appointment and throughout employment.
· Experience in conduit installation and roadway construction, and knowledge of utility clearance.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of drafting terminology and techniques related to construction engineering.
- Knowledge of MicroStation as well as standard computer applications, including Microsoft Office.
- Skill in using geographic information systems (GIS).
- Knowledge of construction practices and the City's permit system.
- Ability to prepare drawings for various types of construction projects.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents as well as City of Milwaukee and departmental regulations, policies, and established procedures.
- Ability to read City maps and understand legal descriptions.
- Skill in updating and maintaining engineering records, engineering databases, and plat pages.
- Ability to train new drafting technicians on various types of drafting work.
Communication and Interpersonal
- Customer service skills: ability to use tact and diplomacy.
- Verbal communication skills: ability to speak clearly and concisely and explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Written communication skills, including the ability to write clear business correspondence and reports.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others, including coworkers, managers, representatives of outside agencies, and the public.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively plan work so as to meet varying deadlines.
- Attention to detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to represent the department honestly and ethically.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
· Defined Benefit Pension Plan
· 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
· Health and Dental Insurance
· Paid Parental Leave
· Comprehensive Wellness Program
· Onsite Clinic Services
· Onsite Employee Assistance Program
· Alternative Work Schedules
· Long Term Disability Insurance
· Group Life Insurance
· Tuition Benefits
· Paid Vacation
· 12 Paid Holidays
· Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
· Flexible Spending Arrangement
· Commuter Value Pass
will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of education, experience and/or responses to supplemental questions; a written or performance test, a structured interview or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to structured interviews and performance examinations. Structured interviews may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
- The selection process will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the selection process components. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative selection process dates or times. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
· The Department of Employee Relations is in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.