|Department||Department of Libraries|
|Date Opened||8/24/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/15/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$79,787 and $99,734 (depending on qualifications and experience)|
|Full or Part Time||
Attach resume, cover letter describing qualifications for this position, and copies of official transcripts to your application.
Include contact information for three references (name, address, telephone number, e-mail address).
The Oklahoma Department of Libraries, the official State Library of Oklahoma, is searching for a Director and State Librarian.
The Department traces its beginnings back to pre-statehood days. Originally established as a Territorial Library in the 1890s to provide legislators with reference services and to house federal publications, the Department continues to serve the information and records management needs of state government. Additional duties have been added over the years. Today it assists with public library development, coordinates interlibrary loan and information sharing programs, and serves the general public through its specialized collections including the state archives.
As the Agency Director and Chief Administrative Officer of the Oklahoma Department of Libraries, the Executive Director supervises operations of the State Archives, Library Development, and Library Resources divisions. The individual in this position directs Library staff to meet the mission of the agency as contained in the Oklahoma Statutes and the goals adopted by the State Library Board.
The State Librarian represents the State Library in its work with the Governor's Office, Oklahoma Legislature, and local, state, and national agencies and organizations.
The State Librarian is appointed by the seven member Oklahoma Department of Libraries Board and is an at-will employee of the Board.
Qualifications, Required & Requested Skills
A graduate degree from a library school accredited by the American Library Association as required by Oklahoma Statutes Title 65, Section 3-103.
Some travel is required so the candidate must have a valid driver’s license.
Management experience in a library with responsibility for each of the following:
• Supervision of staff including performance evaluation,
• Development of long- and short-range goals and plans,
• Program evaluation, and
• Budget preparation and supervision.
Demonstrated ability in the following:
• Effective communication with legislators and other elected or appointed officials on the purpose, goals, outcomes, and benefits provided by a library;
• Leadership and professional involvement in library associations;
• Knowledge of current issues, practices, and trends in libraries;
• Management of a broad range of funding opportunities, including state and federal grant programs for libraries; and
• Skill in oral and written communications including public presentations
• Administering the Oklahoma Department of Libraries in accordance with State and Federal law, regulation, policy and standard library information science, records management; and archival practices.
• Providing testimony regarding agency activities before public bodies including the Oklahoma legislature
• Establishing and monitoring agency goals, objectives and performance indicators
• Planning, organizing and directing statewide programs, services and activities
• Preparation and control for the agency budget, including presentations to the Legislature and others.
• Serving on or coordinating activities of numerous boards, committees, councils and associations related to library and archives activities
The salary range for hiring will be between $79,787 and $99,734 (depending on qualifications and experience) and benefits package.
Oklahoma City is the state capitol and the largest city in the state, with a metro population of more than 1.3 million people. It averages more than 300 days of sunshine per year. The city has recently undergone a renaissance. Public and private partnerships over the last 10 years have dramatically transformed the face of the city, offering an abundance of the arts, quality health care, excellence in education, and recreation. In 2018, CNBC rated OKC the number one city in the nation where wages most outpaced expenses, looking at average annual income and average monthly living expenses.
Criminal Records Check:
Employment is contingent on the outcome of a criminal records check, which may require fingerprints (FBI). Any history of criminal activity will be reviewed and could result in the withdrawal of the offer or termination of employment.
Whereas the position is responsible for financial control of the agency, finalists for the position will be screened for credit history. Authorization by the finalist(s) will be obtained prior to the credit check.
THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/E-VERIFY EMPLOYER
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|