|Department||Department of Agriculture and Food and Forestry|
|Date Opened||10/30/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/27/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$38,000 - $40,000 Annual Salary|
|Full or Part Time||
Work Location: Oklahoma, stationed in Stillwater, OK.
This forest resource professional will serve NRCS and ODAFF and act as a bridge between the two agencies to provide technical expertise, coordination, and communication. They will build capacity and maintain and improve forestry assistance through USDA Farm Bill Programs. The primary goal is to leverage technical and financial support in providing quality technical assistance with the planning and implementation of forestry practices in programs administered by NRCS and ODAFF.
State Forestry Liaison carries out the duties described below in cooperation with NRCS and OFS personnel, forest industry, state and federal agencies and private landowners.
• Provide overall NRCS forestry needs for Oklahoma including technical resources for financial assistance programs
• Provide and coordinate technical assistance on complex and difficult technical forestry related assistance to land owners, farm operators, and other individuals and groups who manage land and, to encourage participation in the various Farm Bill programs.
• Develops and maintains technical guide materials, including standards and specifications and all related materials (such as technical notes, job sheets, tools, computer programs, etc.) for forestry practices.
• Makes recommendations for training needs and develops procedures for planning and widespread application of forestry programs. Provides training to field personnel in all phases of forestry applications.
• Participates in meetings and workshops to development a good understanding for current technologies in forestry applications and provides guidance to the State Resource Conservationist as to its use in NRCS conservation programs.
• Review all technical guidance and provide input with regard to financial assistance programs including EQIP, HFRP, CStP and WRP
• Establishes and maintains effective working relations with other federal and state agencies as well as private organizations to promote the use of sound conservation practices on forest lands and to develop markets and utilization of forest products.
• Develop and maintain working relationship with OSU and Extension Service and serve as a mentor to students in the Dept. of Natural Resources Ecology and Management to help promote forestry related research and careers.
• Provide guidance, training, and oversight on Forest Management Plans for partnership employees.
• Attend NRCS webinars/meetings/teleconference related to forestry and provide reports/feedback to State Resource Conservationist.
• Assist with forestry outreach to landowners, groups, and organizations, particularly traditionally underserved groups and new landowners
The applicant must be a professional forester, with education and/or experience in forest related issues. Desirable attributes include strong communications, planning and problem solving skills; ability to develop effective working relationships with a variety of people, to resolve complaints and to exercise independent thinking and judgment; and to consistently follow standard procedures and protocols.
• A Bachelor of Science degree Forestry, Natural Resource Management, or a closely related field and four (4) years of professional forestry experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Preference will be given to applicants with the following:
• A Master’s degree in Forestry or a related field or one (1) additional year of experience
• Doctoral degree in Forestry or a related field or an additional three (3) years of experience
• Three (3) years of Forest Management experience.
• Considerable technical experience and in-depth knowledge of the science related to forestry, hydrology, terrestrial & aquatic ecosystems, implications of natural resource and environmental issues.
• Knowledge and experience in forestry outreach and assistance and implementation of forestry management planning, practices, and programs.
• Data tracking and monitoring experience with computer databases and GIS skills desired.
• Ability to work in interagency environment and maintain effective working relationships with agency and partner personnel, non-governmental organizations, ODAFF divisions and the public.
• Advanced public speaking and writing skills desired.
• Demonstrated leadership in group settings and multiple disciplines.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in the English language in person, on the telephone, and to groups.
• Ability to prepare technical reports. Demonstrated skill in Microsoft Office including Excel and email.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Fieldwork is generally performed outdoors and occasionally in inclement weather. Employee must be able to travel to forested sites and traverse rough, uneven and steep terrain that may be covered with logging debris. Work may expose forester to dust, pollution, soil or pollen, severe weather, snakes, insects and logging equipment. Routine work is conducted in an office environment, and up to 20 percent of work time may be spent driving a state vehicle.
Applicants must be willing and able to fulfill all job-related travel normally associated with this position; be willing to work hours other than on regular shifts during emergency situations; and possess a telephone to receive emergency on-call duty messages.
Possession of a valid Oklahoma driver’s license at time of employment.
Persons appointed to Forestry Liaison positions must possess or obtain recognition as a Certified Forester with the Society of American Foresters (SAF) within 18 months from the date of appointment and maintain this certification according to the standards of SAF.
Certification by the Department of Agriculture as a Pesticide Applicator must be obtained within 12 months of employment.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|