|Department||Department of Education|
|Date Opened||11/1/2018 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/15/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$35,000 - $40,000/year|
|Full or Part Time||
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
Office of Administrative Services, Oliver Hodge Building, Oklahoma City
Under the direction of the Chief of Government Affairs, this position assists in monitoring all legislation that affects the Oklahoma State Department of Education (“the Department”).
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university [transcript(s) required].
• Professional experience in government relations, public relations, journalism, communications and/or in the Oklahoma legislative process preferred.
• Ability to understand and navigate the legislative process, and federal and state laws and regulations relating to education administration.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to communicate effectively, both oral and written; to exercise good judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions; and to organize and present facts and opinions clearly.
• Interest or experience in education policy.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
• Reviews pending legislation to identify bills impacting the Department; monitors the status of all legislative agendas on a daily basis.
• Maintains and monitors comprehensive computer tracking list for all legislation impacting the Department; produces regular weekly reports on bill status; maintains legislative files.
• Attends legislative committee meetings as assigned and briefs Chief of Government Affairs.
• Keeps agency divisions advised of legislation that affects each area and collects input for draft legislation.
• Assists in researching legislation and/or public policy and writes reports as needed.
• Coordinates with Department staff in addressing constituent issues from legislators and/or legislative staff; prepares responses to legislative inquiries.
• Monitors and attends interim studies that might affect the Department.
• May travel and assist the Superintendent as needed.
• Assists the Chief of Government Affairs with any other tasks or projects as assigned.
Occasional travel. No overnight stays expected.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.