$19.06-$27.74 Hourly / $3,304.00-$4,808.00 Monthly / $39,650.00-$57,694.00 Yearly
According to Civil Service Commission Rule 109, the duties specified below are representative of the range of duties assigned to this job code/class and are not intended to be an inclusive list.
Under direct supervision, duties include:
1. Participates in a structured on-the-job and classroom training program and learns routine and basic manual labor tasks.
2. Waters lawns, planted areas and playfields, manually or by means of automatic sprinklers; uses hand or power mower to cut lawns; fertilizes lawns, shrubs and flower beds.
3. Performs routine and limited trimming and pruning of shrubs and hedges by use of hand or power shears; gathers and disposes of cuttings.
4. With close supervision, sprays herbicides; plants and transplants shrubs or small plants; traps or destroys rodents; assists in the renovation of lawns or play areas.
5. Removes debris and litter; sweeps and otherwise cleans play areas, paths or roadways; removes trash; assists in the loading of debris on truck.
6. Rakes and weeds lawns; weeds and cultivates planted areas; cleans restrooms or other auxiliary buildings in a playground or park.
7. Sharpens, cleans and otherwise maintains tools and equipment, and performs general maintenance duties.
8. Assists in responding to specific service requests generated by the public, department or other City agency.
9. Loads and unloads materials, supplies, and equipment on and off trucks in proper and safe manner.
10. Assists in making minor repairs and adjustments to landscape irrigation systems, mower equipment, and hoses.
11. Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Ability to: learn general grounds maintenance and plant care, pest and rodent control and the use of the required tools and equipment.
Requires ability to: follow oral and written instructions and cooperate with others in the performance of duties.
These minimum qualifications are to be used as a guide for establishing the education, training, experience, special skills and/or license which may be required for employment in the class. Although these minimum qualifications are typical of the class, additional minimum qualifications and special conditions may apply to a particular position and will be stated on the job announcement.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be qualifying.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment: Ability to safely and correctly lift, drag and/or move with assistance large and/or heavy plants and equipment to truck bed level and the ability to kneel, bend and squat for considerable periods of time. The nature of the work may require exposure to inclement weather conditions and may require exposure to infectious and/or hazardous materials and/or conditions. Some positions require driving. Some positions may require riding mowers and driving small utility vehicles. Some positions may require weekend or shift work.