We are currently accepting applications for this position.
To apply, click here to close this window and view the list of open jobs for this job class.
$26.71-$32.49 Hourly / $4,630.00-$5,631.00 Monthly / $55,562.00-$67,574.00 Yearly
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of semi-skilled and skilled duties in the preparation, installation and care of museum exhibits and works of art; and performs related duties as required.
Requires normal responsibility for: Following established procedures in connection with the preparation, installation and care of museum exhibits and works of art. Nature of work requires manual dexterity and unusual care in the handling of valuable art objects.
1. Constructs and prepares props, backgrounds and special lighting effects for exhibits; uses hand and power tools; paints with brush and spray equipment; constructs and finishes temporary partitions, including framing and hanging of doors.
2. Builds fine cabinets, such as vitrines and showcases.
3. Prepares, hangs and installs art objects for exhibit.
4. Mounts wall readers, labels, photographs and other material using a dry mounting press.
5. Under supervision, cuts and assembles mats and frames for prints and drawings.
6. Reclaims materials from the installation for future use.
Requires knowledge of: The standard tools, practices and methods used in painting; rough and finish carpentry as well as cabinet work; and the use of different materials such as various kinds of lumber, fabrics, plastics, mechanical fasteners and adhesives.
Requires ability to: Physically handle delicate and valuable works of art with extreme care; work from sketches and follow oral instructions as to construction and installation of museum exhibits.
Requires skill in the use of a variety of hand and power tools and in the use and application of various materials.
These minimum qualifications establish the education, training, experience, special skills and/or license(s) which are required for employment in the classification. Please note, additional qualifications (i.e., special conditions) may apply to a particular position and will be stated on the exam/job announcement.
Possession of an Associate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Art, Fine Arts, Museum Studies or a related field.
License and Certification:
Qualifying full time work experience (2000 hours equal one year) in the preparation, fabrication, installation and the care and handling of valuable art objects; making museum mounts for objects; building exhibition furniture and working closely with museum staff at a museum, gallery, or traveling exhibition program may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis. One year of work experience equals to thirty (30) semester units or forty-five (45) quarter units.