1042 IS Engineer Journey - Support Engineer
|Department||Airport - San Francisco International|
|Date Opened||8/12/2016 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/26/2016 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$101,140.00 - $127,244.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent PBT|
This is a Position-Based Test administered in accordance with Civil Service Rule 111A. The current position is located at San Francisco International Airport. The eligible list resulting from this examination may be utilized for future positions in this class in other City departments.
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is a world-class, award-winning airport that serves more than 50 million guests each year. SFO offers non-stop flights to 44 international airports on 38 international carriers. The Bay Area's largest airport also connects non-stop with 78 U.S. cities on 13 domestic airlines. In 2015, the Airport, an enterprise department of the City & County of San Francisco, accounted for $7.8 billion in business activity and supported nearly 39,400 direct jobs.
SFO’s mission is to provide an exceptional airport in service to our communities and is committed to redefining air travel. SFO has embarked on the renovation of Terminal 1, the largest project in the Airport’s 10-year, $6.1 billion Capital Improvement Plan.
For more information about SFO, visit: http://www.flysfo.com/
Under the direction of the ITT Support & Reporting Manager, this position performs analysis, planning, implementing, maintaining, and troubleshooting large complex systems or networks. This position is responsible for the coordination of Help Desk support activities, providing exemplary customer service, service level reporting, technical problem resolution, problem escalation, technical project participation, Help Desk phone support and system monitoring. The position is also responsible for maintaining a close working relationship with our business customers and business partners to drive resolution and advancing proactive efforts to improve customer satisfaction with technology services.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
* Maintains knowledge sufficient to resolve technical issues, questions and problems relating to software applications, workstations, laptops and printers; provides direction to Client Services staff in software and hardware installation, configuration, service and maintenance.
* Assists in coordinating Client Services daily activities; assigns Service Now trouble tickets to staff in a manner that effectively utilizes staff skill sets and schedules.
* Performs help desk functions. Responds to phone calls and e-mails related to problems involving all major computer applications, systems, workstations, and printers; provides technical and procedural assistance and recommends solutions to correct malfunctions.
* Assists in coordinating Client Services project activities to ensure their successful and timely completion.
* Actively participates in ITT projects from a SME and technical lead perspective.
* Ensures accurate entry and routing of customer requests, prioritizing and reviewing workflow, scheduling support desk coverage, and providing guidance to team members to ensure courteous, timely and effective resolution of customers’ issues.
* Participates in the administration of daily activities of staff including trouble ticket generation/resolution, equipment check out/in, vendor relations, telephone service, and voice mail setup.
* Documents procedures used to resolve problems; documents and communicates Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to supervisor.
* Acts as Senior/Lead Office365/Exchange email Engineer.
* Handles the administration of Global Protect for VPN on mobile devices and laptops.
* Participates in the administration of Help Desk staff training procedures, policies and knowledge base materials.
* Handles the triage, escalation, and notification for technical issues.
* Coordinates and/or performs hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, and configuring systems and applications.
* Participates in change management and disaster recovery processes.
* Establishes and enforces Help Desk service level agreements in consultation with customers to establish problem resolution expectations and timeframes.
* Mentors and trains Help Desk team members to ensure that customer service standards are maintained.
* Works closely with various IS administrators/service technicians, both internal and external, to provide hardware and software support to systems throughout the Airport.
* Orders and maintains all Cell phones, Smart phones and tablets.
* Monitors technical support activities for computer systems and equipment to insure proper functioning; communicates with users regarding resolution of problems, and continuously updates trouble tickets from Service Now.
* Monitors the status of performance metrics and determining service standards by comparing to industry standards.
* Identifies, recommends, develops, and implements customer training programs to increase computer literacy and self-sufficiency.
* Prepares weekly reports on the Help Desk service level performance.
* Analyzes performance of Help Desk activities and documented resolutions, identifies problem areas, and devises and delivers solutions to enhance quality of service and to prevent future problems.
* Tracks and analyzes trends in Help Desk requests and generated statistical reports.
* Manages on-going network and mobility adds, moves, and changes.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
These minimum qualifications establish the education, training, experience, special skills and/or license(s) which are required for employment in the classification. Please note, additional qualifications (i.e., special conditions) may apply to a particular position and will be stated on the exam/job announcement.
An associate degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, management information systems, data processing, electrical engineering or a closely related field.
Three (3) years of verifiable and recent experience working on a technical help desk in a ticketing and workflow environment, performing basic desktop hardware/software troubleshooting and support.
Substitution: Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). Thirty (30) semester units or forty-five (45) quarter units equal one (1) year.
Please note: The three (3) years of experience requirement must be obtained within the last seven (7) years.
Additional Requirement: In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, this position requires sufficient strength and coordination of lifting, pushing, pulling and/or carrying the 35 Lbs. weight of computer systems equipment. It also requires bending, stooping and/or crawling in order to install or repair computer systems hardware (TST029).
Working Condition: Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment: Ability to work in a standard office environment which may involve prolonged sitting, bending and operation of typing, word processing and other office equipment; and ability to work evening meetings.
The above minimum qualifications reflect special conditions associated with the position(s) to be filled. They may differ from the standard minimum qualifications associated with this classification.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
* Five (5) years of verifiable and recent experience supporting and maintaining Microsoft Exchange and Outlook
* Five (5) years of verifiable and recent experience supporting and maintaining mobile and tablet devicesOne (1) year of experience analyzing, installing, configuring, enhancing, and/or maintaining the components of an enterprise network.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
* Select the 1042 IS Engineer Journey - Support Engineer (PBT-1042-068845) job announcement
* Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
* Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
* Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, or the Airport Commission Human Resources at 710 N. McDonnell Road, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94128 for use by the public to apply for City jobs. The hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter.
To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org). Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores. If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Charlene Cun, by telephone at 650-821-2018, or by email at Charlene.Cun@flysfo.com.
Note: Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment. Only the most qualified applicants will continue on in the selection process.
Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
Verification of qualifying experience, when requested, must be documented on the employer's business letterhead and must include the name of the applicant, job title(s), dates of employment, description of job duties performed, and signature of the employer or the employer’s authorized representative. Experience claimed in self-employment will only be accepted if supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to minimum qualifications above. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupation and total earnings must be submitted. Employees of the City and County of San Francisco may submit performance evaluations showing duties performed to verify qualifying City experience. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee's class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Commission Rules. Verification may be waived if impossible to obtain. The applicant must submit a signed statement explaining why verification cannot be obtained. Waiver requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Failure to provide the required verification, or request for waiver when requested may result in rejection of application.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Training and Experience Evaluation - Weight: 100%
Candidates will be prompted to complete the Supplemental Application that must be submitted during the online application process. Candidates will be evaluated on their relative knowledge, skill and ability levels in job-related areas, which may include but not limited to: knowledge of the functions of the core hardware and software components that comprise a large system or enterprise network; knowledge of analysis and evaluation techniques to plan, design, integrate, implement, maintain and troubleshoot large complex systems or networks across similar and dissimilar technology platforms; ability to determine the systems or networking requirements to plan for or enhance the core data processing needs for the Enterprise system or network; ability to solve problems with minimal disruption or impact to the system or network; ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in designing, planning, troubleshooting and integration of large complex systems or networks based on the potential benefits and/or consequences; ability to develop alternative solutions within established guidelines and standards; ability to communicate effectively; ability to establish good working relationships with other IS professionals, vendors, management and departments; ability to read and understand professional journals, manuals and literature; and ability to prioritize competing requests for service. It is important that the information provided on the supplemental application be accurate and complete. All statements made on the application materials are subject to verification.
NOTE: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process.
Certification Rule: The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of Three Scores. The hiring department may conduct additional selection processes to make final hiring decisions.
Eligible List: The eligible list resulting from this examination is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission. The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be of three (3) months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
Upon approval of the Human Resource Director (see Civil Service Rule 111A.26.5), the eligible list resulting from this announcement may be used by other departments that also use this classification or a similar classification. To find other Departments which use this classification, please see http://www.sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentID=21246. Search that document by title or job code to see which departments use the classification.
Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Security Clearance: Candidates for employment with the San Francisco Airport Commission are required to undergo a criminal history record check, including FBI fingerprints, and Security Threat Assessment in order to determine eligibility for security clearance and may be required to undergo drug/alcohol screening. Per Civil Service Commission Rule Section 110.9.1, every applicant for an examination must possess and maintain the qualifications required by law and by the examination announcement for the examination. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination from employment with the Airport Commission.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Position Based Testing: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#positionbasedtesting
Reasonable Accommodation Request: Applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation for this examination can find information on requesting a reasonable accommodation at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
Veterans Preference: Information regarding requests for veterans preference can be found at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#veteranspreference
Seniority Credit in Promotional Exams: Information regarding seniority credit can be found at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#senioritycredit
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Terms of Announcement and Appeal Rights: Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. The standard for the review of such appeals is ‘abuse of discretion’ or ‘no rational basis’ for establishing the position description, the minimum qualifications and/or the certification rule. Appeals must include a written statement of the item(s) being contested and the specific reason(s) why the cited item(s) constitute(s) abuse of discretion by the Human Resources Director. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.
Copies of Application Documents: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#copies. Applicants are advised to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam record and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to submit the same documents and/or additional documents at a later date.
Right to Work: All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Exam Type: Combined Promotive and Entrance
Issued: Friday, August 12, 2016
Micki Callahan, Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 068845
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.