7362 Communications Systems Technician
|Department||Department of Technology|
|Date Opened||11/9/2018 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$50.09 - $60.89/hour; $8,682.00 - $10,554.00/month; $104,182.00 - $126,646.00/year|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY IMMEDIATELY AS THIS RECRUITMENT MAY CLOSE AT ANYTIME BUT NO EARLIER THAN NOVEMBER 14TH, 2018.
Position: Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of skilled technical maintenance, testing and repair work on complex wireless and networked communications equipment to support a wide variety of emergency communications systems.
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of skilled technical maintenance, testing and repair work on complex wireless and networked communications equipment to support a wide variety of emergency communications systems.
- Troubleshoots and repairs a wide variety of computer aided telecommunications devices such as radio dispatch consoles, records management consoles, SCADA systems, telemetry and GPS systems by using diagnostic software for localizing equipment and system problems, specialized testing equipment such as DS1, DS3, digital oscilloscopes, Radio Service Monitors, digital multimeters, frequency counters and power meters
- Configures equipment and system operating parameters through use of mobile radio system software, LAN/WAN service software, and modem service software
- Documents system and equipment repairs, modifications and changes as part of ongoing service and maintenance system operating procedures
- Troubleshoots and repairs conventional and trunked central and remote radio, microwave and control terminals and related devices such as antennas by use of specialized soldering equipment used in surface mounted devices and physical repair of failed equipment retrieved from field installation
- Consults with client department representatives, service providers and vendors, other radio staff, cable splicers or other technical staff as needed in resolving communication system problems
- Performs related duties as assigned
Work Location: Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, 200 Paul Ave, San Francisco, CA 94102.
Job Type: This Temporary Exempt (Category 17) - Full Time position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer. This position has an anticipated duration of no more than two (2) years and will not result in an eligible list or permanent civil service hiring.
- Three (3) years of journey level electronics technician experience, which must have included the installation, repair, and maintenance of a broad range of electronic communications systems and equipment AND
- Possession of a Federal Communications Commission General-Class Radio-Telephone Operator's License OR an APCO Certificate of Competency (Associated Public Safety Communications Officers) OR a NABER Certificate (National Association of Business and Educational Radio) AND
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment: exposure to disagreeable weather conditions, working in confined spaces, lifting of heavy objects and carrying them or moving them for moderate distances.
Two additional years of experience; OR two years of coursework in electronic communications technology from an accredited college or university (one year experience = 30 semester/45 quarter units); OR 1200 hours of professional certificated technical training in that field; OR any combination of the above may substitute for licensing/certificate requirements.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Ryan Lim, by telephone at 628-652-5165, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email preferred)
Note: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.THE CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents: Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work: All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Issued: November 9th, 2018
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 089787
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|