5642 Senior Environmental Specialist
Senior Community Engagement Specialist
|Date Opened||3/5/2019 09:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/18/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$45.56 - $55.38/hour; $7,898.00 - $9,598.00/month; $94,770.00 - $115,180.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent PBT|
Senior Community Engagement Specialist
San Francisco Department of Environment
5642 – Senior Environmental Specialist
**This is a position-based test conducted in accordance with CSC Rule 111A.**
The San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) provides solutions that advance climate protection and enhance quality of life for all San Franciscans. SF Environment is recognized worldwide for its environmental policies and programs, which center on achieving zero waste, reducing environmental toxins, advancing environmental justice, promoting sustainable transportation modes, expanding clean energy infrastructure, greening our built environment, and protecting our urban forest. We’re a passionate, mission-driven team, a great place to work, and offer an attractive benefits package that includes healthcare and retirement.
What You'll Do
Environment Now Program Management:
• Design, implement and evaluate culturally-competent, multilingual community engagement campaigns and initiatives that increase resident participation and business compliance with the Department’s zero waste, toxics reduction and other programs and servicesTeam Management:
• Set targets and design systems for interpreting and evaluating project and team performance
• Establish and maintain partnerships and collaborate with diverse City and community stakeholders to deliver quality programming
• Develop and maintain effective promotional and educational materials
• Manage Environment Now budget, work orders and program grants
• Ensure operational and technical projects meet City standards
• Oversee the work of two Coordinators responsible for project coordination, team assignments and designing and facilitating team trainings in eco-literacy, sales, customer service, data management and program-based scopes such as Zero Waste and Toxics Reduction
• Optimize team structure and roles to meet the needs and objectives of the department and program areas
• Support the Environment Now team by conveying vision, relaying pertinent departmental updates, identifying professional development opportunities, and addressing resource needs and challenges
• Hire, train, motivate and manage staff
• Act as liaison to the Zero Waste (ZW) program, working closely with ZW colleagues and external partners to ensure technically accurate, goal-aligned business and residential outreachDepartmental Representation & Support:
• Lead the planning, implementation, and evaluation of community engagement campaigns in support of new zero waste and toxics reduction policies, as assigned
• Facilitate communications and marketing support requests from the Zero Waste team, evaluating requests and coordinating fulfillment with members of the wider Communications & Community Engagement team, as appropriate
• Represent the Department at City functions and community convenings, as directed by the Program Manager
• Perform other duties related to those described above, as required
Supervises outreach staff and contractors, including two Class 5640 Environmental Coordinators (direct reports) and up to eleven (11) Class 9920 & 9922 training positions (indirect reports).
• Experience developing and implementing strategic behavior-change programming
• Experience in grassroots outreach and community engagement
• Familiarity with San Francisco neighborhoods and supervisorial districts
• Fluency in Chinese, Spanish or other language commonly spoken in San Francisco
• Experience managing the work of external vendors
• Culturally-competent public outreach and community engagement principles and approaches
• Quantitative and qualitative data analysis and reporting
• Environmental topic areas including, but not limited to, zero waste, toxics reduction, and sustainable transportation
• Governmental structure and operations
• Manage complex projects and programs
• Collaborate with community and City colleagues, partners and Department staff to deliver quality programming
• Design, plan, and work within budgets
• Train, motivate and supervise staff
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Present before large groups of people
• Use spreadsheet and CRM software
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring. Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date, unless otherwise noted.
Candidates are requested to submit a resume and attach it to their application. Upload this document as a PDF or Word file, with the naming convention of “YourName-5642ENVnow”.
How To Apply
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
1. Select the desired job announcement.
2. Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information.
3. Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”.
4. Follow instructions on the screen.
5. Submit your resume as an attachment to your application.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application was received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
Please email Preston Treichel, Senior Human Resources Consultant, at Preston.Treichel@sfgov.org should you have questions about the application process. For questions regarding the status of your application or the selection process, please refer to the ‘Timeline’ section under the Selection Procedures heading.
The Supplemental Questionnaire Evaluation is also designed to measure knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in job-related areas as described within this announcement. Once submitted, applicant responses on the Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be changed. Applicants must achieve a passing score on the Supplemental Questionnaire Evaluation in order to be ranked on the eligible list.
After the eligible list is finalized/adopted, the department may administer additional selection procedures to make a final hiring decision (e.g. interviews, written exercise, etc.). Applicants meeting the Minimum Qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through all steps of the selection process.
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of Three (3) Scores. Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
A confidential eligible list of applicant names that have passed the civil service examination process will be created, and used for certification purposes only. An examination score report will be established, so applicants can view the ranks, final scores and number of eligible candidates. Applicant information, including names of applicants on the eligible list, shall not be made public unless required by law. However, an eligible list shall be made available for public inspection, upon request, once the eligible list is exhausted or expired and referrals resolved. The eligible list/score report resulting from this civil service examination process is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission.
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be 6 months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
Upon approval of the Human Resource Director (see Civil Service Rule 111A.26.5), the eligible list/score report resulting from this announcement may be used by other departments that also use this classification or a similar classification. To find other Departments which use this classification, please see: https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/documents/ASO-Level-Chart.pdf?documentID=21246.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
2. Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456. Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
3. Requests: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
Seniority Credit in Promotional Exams
4. Applicants are advised to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam record and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to present additional material at the time of appointment and/or at a later date.
5. For general information concerning City and County of San Francisco employment policies and procedures, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20
6. For Right to Work policy, please refer to this web URL: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification
7. Terms of Announcement: Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf. The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. The standard for the review of such appeals is ‘abuse of discretion’ or ‘no rational basis’ for establishing the position description, the minimum qualifications and/or the certification rule. Appeals must include a written statement of the item(s) being contested and the specific reason(s) why the cited item(s) constitute(s) abuse of discretion by the Human Resources Director. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.
EXAM TYPE: ENTRANCE/PROMO
MICKI CALLAHAN, HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ANNOUNCEMENT NO: PBT-5642-088926