1043 Senior Network Engineer
|Department||Department of Technology|
|Date Opened||6/14/2021 2:15:00 PM|
|Salary||$63.43 - $79.79/hour; $10,994.00 - $13,830.00/month; $131,924.00 - $165,958.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
*ANNOUNCEMENT UPDATED 7/28/2021 TO REFLECT NEW CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT*
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. For details on how it is applicable to your employment, please click here.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time but not earlier than June 29, 2021. The position is open until filled.
The Department of Technology is the centralized technology services provider within San Francisco City & County government, delivering technology infrastructure and services to approximately 33,000 employees and 800,000 residents. The department has an annual operating budget of over $130M and contains over 220 employees. Core service areas include: Infrastructure and Operations, Technology Security, Service Delivery & Management, Enterprise Applications, Project Management Office, Public Safety Systems & Wiring, Technology Administration, Policy & Governance and IT Public Communications.
The Senior Network Engineer assignment is in a highly technical area and will support a large enterprise Network WAN/LAN & computing environment. This is a (24x7) 365days operation Center and support is extremely needed for projects and on-going support. The Senior Network Engineer will provide functional and technical expertise; develop and/or modify procedures to solve LAN/WAN issues; perform multiple software functions and support hardware platforms. The Senior Network Engineer will be involved in projects Upgrade the network and VOIP project which will take a few years to accomplish working with the latest Cisco Technologies such as ACI, SDN and APIC.
The Senior Network Engineer will need the knowledge of basic and advanced functions for the support of multiple core network hardware, complex data centers, and software components on this large enterprise network; analysis and evaluation, integrate, implement and maintain to troubleshoot networks across similar and or dissimilar technology platforms. Under direct supervision of the Director of the Technology Office, the Senior Network Engineer is responsible for driving the continuous improvement of the City’s WAN and LAN Networks to include planning, management, security and stability of the enterprise. The incumbent will provide functional guidance to IS Engineer – Seniors and other members of the team; provide functional and technical expertise to formulate computer system scope and objectives; develop and/or modify procedures to solve problems using information systems; prepare detailed documentation for data center operations; manage DCIM software platforms; and support hardware platforms. Assignments are in highly technical and business functional areas.
Essential Job Duties and Functions:
- Proactively manage WAN/LAN Network growth with a focus on reliability and dependability ensuring 24x7 availability for the new Network being implemented
- Good understanding of various Network infrastructure and devices such as Cisco, Palo Alto, and F5 technologies.
- Identify and drive process improvements including efficiencies in cost structure.
- Assist IS Engineers Principals with the overall technical direction of the CCSF WAN/LAN infrastructure.
- Review Established Disaster Recovery Plans for adequacy and assist with the execution and appropriate remedial action to address any deficiencies.
- Assist and maintain keeping the network infrastructure documentation and topologies up to date.
- Ability to work with vendors and team members for installation of such items as routers, firewalls, switches, virtualization equipment, mainframe and Oracle Exalogic/Exadata systems.
- Interface with users, engineers, and other analysts for multi-department system projects and system related activities to meet the needs of the department.
- Must be able to get along with others, i.e., peers, supervisors, outside customers, and vendors.
- Intermediate experience with Infrastructure-Based Processes such as: Monitoring, Capacity Planning, Facilities Management, Performance Tuning, Asset Management, Disaster Recovery and High Availability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Provide after-hours support and access as required
- Provide strong customer service and assist with facilitation and collaboration between project teams and clients.
- Work closely with our other Systems and Network Engineers and Network Operations Staff to ensure network connectivity requirements are fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Attend planning meetings and work closely with application development teams.
- Review, analyze, and resolve operational problems and create report if necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Mentor junior Network Engineers
The Permanent Exempt - Full Time position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer. The anticipated duration of this project position is thirty-six (36) months and will not result in an eligible list or permanent civil service hiring.
Nature of Work:
Candidate must be willing to work 0800-1700, 40-hour week as determined by the department. Travel within San Francisco may be required.
Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, 1 South Van Ness, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103. However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as necessary.
An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
Three (3) years of experience analyzing, installing, configuring, enhancing, and/or maintaining the components of an enterprise network.
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units/ forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work requirements: May require sufficient strength and coordination for lifting, pushing, pulling and/or carrying the weight of computer systems equipment. May require bending, stooping and/or crawling in order to install or repair computer systems hardware. May require hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity for taking apart casings, installing parts and reconnecting computer systems hardware. May involve extensive VDT exposure.
- 2 years experience with Cisco routers and switches
- CCNA or CCNP certifications up to date
- Experience with Project Management.
- Intermediate experience with DCIM, Excel, Visio and SolarWinds Monitoring software
- Experience with fiber optic cabling and Ethernet cabling
1. Medical Testing: Prior to appointment, eligible candidates must successfully pass the TB testing process.
2. Security Clearances & Background Investigations: Positions in this classification may require that successful candidates who become eligible for appointment may be required to go through a background investigation to determine the candidate’s suitability for employment in this classification. Factors considered in the investigation may include employment history, use of illegal/controlled substances. Reasons for rejection based on this investigation may include, but not limited to: applicable convictions, repeated or serious violations of the law, inability to accept supervision, inability to follow rules and regulations, falsification of application materials and/or other relevant factors. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobapscloud.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
In line with the Official Public Health Order to slow the spread of COVID-19, “shelter-in-place” has been issued for all San Francisco residents that is expected to be in effect until further notice. As a result, Department of Human Resources (DHR)’s office (located at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103) is currently closed to the general public. If you have any questions, please feel free to email the Human Resources Analyst listed on this announcement.
In addition, all City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. For details on how it is applicable to your employment, please click
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. Resumes may be attached to the application; however, resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City and County of San Francisco application.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Carol Wong, by telephone at 652-628-5045, or by email at email@example.com.
Supplemental Questionnaire (Qualifying and Informational):
Applicants will be prompted to complete a supplemental questionnaire as part of the online employment application. It is essential that applicants provide complete information in identifying their education, experience, training and licensure, consistent with the information provided on their application. The supplemental questionnaire will be used to evaluate whether applicants meet the minimum qualifications. The Questionnaire will also be used to assess the applicant's knowledge, skills, and abilities as they relate to the this position. Applicants must also complete the official application. The information in the supplemental questionnaire will not be scored and is collected for informational purposes.
The Department may establish and implement additional screening mechanisms to comparatively evaluate qualifications of candidates. If this becomes necessary, only those applicants whose qualifications most closely meet the needs of the Department will be invited for an interview.
Note: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
THE CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All City and County of San Francisco employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobapscloud.com/sf.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#applicantswithdisabilities
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States. Please be informed that the Department of Technology will not sponsor visa application/transfer.
Issued: June 14, 2021
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: PEX-1043-111884
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|