San Francisco Fellows - Fiscal Year 2020-2021
|Department||Human Resources - WFD|
|Date Opened||12/11/2019 12:01:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/29/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$2,217 Bi-Weekly; $57,642 Annualized|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
San Francisco Fellows Program
Fiscal Year 2020-2021
Developing the Next Generation of Public Service Leaders
The mission of the San Francisco Fellows program is to foster community stewardship by preparing recent college graduates for roles in public service and administration.
The Fellows program is a unique opportunity to work and learn about public administration in local government while working full time as a City employee. Fellows work on various programs and projects that have a direct impact on City operations which spans a broad range of City functions and departments, involving analysis, planning, and program development.
In addition to gaining valuable full-time professional work experience and skills such as leadership, communication, technical skills and other professional development, the cohort experience includes weekly learning sessions built into the Fellows' work schedule to provide a well-rounded, thorough introduction to San Francisco government operations, policies and strategies.
Competitively selected applicants will join a cohort of up to 18 Fellows for an 11.5-month full-time work experience as City employees. Fellows will earn an annualized salary of approximately $57,000, plus health, dental, retirement and other benefits.
We invite people who have had an undergraduate degree conferred within the past 5 years to apply for this highly selective program. Specific areas of study are not required. We are looking for enthusiastic, creative, hard-working individuals who are interested in experiencing public administration in service of the City and County of San Francisco.
Please visit www.sfdhr.org/sffellows for additional information and FAQs about the program.
How To Apply
Applications for the San Francisco Fellows Program are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement (there is a link to the application at the bottom of this page)
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
- Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
- Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
- Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
- You must complete your application in it's entirety and submit all required materials by the application deadline noted at the top of this job announcement, late submissions will not be accepted. Please note, once you submit your application, you will be unable to make edits.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact Joyce Ganthavorn via email at Joyce.Ganthavorn@sfgov.org.
Please read and follow these instructions and application requirements exactly. Failure to do so may disqualify you from further consideration.
- Education Requirement: Applicants must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited school conferred between May 1, 2015 and June 30, 2020. Specific majors/fields of study is not required.
- Undergraduate Transcripts: Applicants must attach a copy of transcripts (official or unofficial is accepted) which shows a undergraduate degree conferred [or will be conferred] between May 1, 2015 and June 30, 2020. On your application, click on "Other". Select "Upload Attachment" to upload your transcripts. DO NOT submit any documents by email, fax, mail or hand delivery. NOTE: Transcripts are only used to verify the educational requirement, GPA is not considered towards selection. If you have obtained a graduate degree, do not attach a copy of those transcripts, only upload your undergraduate transcripts.
- Resume: Applicants must attach a current resume with your application. Due to the high number of applicants, resumes must be a maximum 2-pages (i.e. 1 double-sided page) in length. NOTE: On your application, the "Resume" tab will allow you to type your resume into the text box. HOWEVER, you must upload your resume as a file attachment for your application to be considered. Click on the "Upload Resume" button at the bottom of the resume text box to upload your file attachment. DO NOT submit any documents by email, fax, mail or hand delivery.
- Essay Responses: Applicants must provide responses to all essay questions as part of this application. Once your application is submitted, you will not have an opportunity to change or resubmit your responses.
APPLICATION TIMELINE & KEY DATES (subject to change):
|December 11, 2019||Application Period Opens|
|January 29, 2020||Application Period Closes|
|January 30 to February 14||
Selected candidates will be invited to participate in the following to progress in the selection process:
|Finalists will be invited to an in-person interview held in San Francisco on various dates in March to accommodate schools' academic calendar. Note: Finalists must attend one of these in-person interview dates at their own expense)|
|April 12, until all positions are filled.||
Selected candidates will receive notification of a conditional offer of employment to begin the City's background clearance and reference verification.
|August 10, 2020||Start Date of SF Fellows Program (first day of Orientation). All selected candidates must be present in San Francisco and start work on this date, no exceptions.|
Additional Information about City & County of San Francisco Employment
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency. For more information about benefits, please click here.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|