5364 Engineering Associate 1
|Department||Public Utilities Commission|
|Date Opened||7/15/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/28/2020 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$38.44 - $46.74/hour; $6,663.00 - $8,101.00/month; $79,950.00 - $97,214.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
5364 Engineering Associate I
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission
Announcement reopened on July 15, 2020 to allow for additional applications. Applicants who already applied will be included in the applicant pool and need not reapply.
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Permanent Exempt (PEX): This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer. The duration of the appointment shall not exceed 36 months.
Who are we?
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC)
Headquartered in San Francisco, we have 2,300 employees working in seven counties with a combined annual operating budget of over $900 million.
Our Mission: To provide our customers with high quality, efficient, and reliable water, power, and wastewater services in a manner that values environmental and community interests and sustains the resources entrusted to our care.
Our Vision: We are an innovative utility leader, recognized for excellent results in service, safety, stewardship, and inclusiveness.
We are an award-winning and industry-leading utilities organization committed to our customers, community interests, and the environment. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at
We are proud of our infrastructure and programs, but most importantly, we value our highly qualified and dedicated workforce which ensures that this vision becomes a reality. As you explore career opportunities with us, download our career guide and learn about what you can expect during the hiring process.
PROJECT : SUNOL VALLEY WATER TREATMENT PLANT - FLOCCULANT AID POLYMER FACILITY: The purpose of this project is to design and construct a flocculant aid polymer facility at the Sunol Valley Water Treatment Plant.
Under general supervision, the Engineering Associate I performs difficult technical engineering work in the preparation of Structural 3D design models, drawings and other graphical output using Computer-aided Design (CAD) or Building Information Modeling (BIM) software systems such as Autodesk Revit and/or Autodesk Navisworks, and working accurately and in compliance with CAD/BIM standards, policies and procedures.
1. Prepares Structural 3D design models, drawings and other graphical outputs using systems such as, Autodesk Revit and/or Autodesk Naviswork, in compliance with appropriate standards, policies and procedures.
2. Checks and may evaluate the technical engineering work of other staff.
3. Conducts engineering investigations and collects and calculates field/departmental data the preparation of designs and drawings.
4. Makes preliminary checks and reviews engineering documents, 3D design models and drawings for accuracy, engineering sufficiency, and conformance to specifications and standards.
5. Assist in the preparation of cost and quantity estimates for engineering projects, written reports, and site investigations.
6. Indexes, reproduces and maintains engineering documents stored in databases or spreadsheets in hard copy form.
7. Applies mathematical and other engineering computations as required in the course of performing work.
8. Operates and replaces media (i.e. printer cartridges, plotter paper rolls and printer paper) on equipment used in the course of performing work.
9. Responds orally and in written form to inquiries, and requests for information from contractors, and other agencies.
10. Performs design work using engineering knowledge and appropriate software programs.
11. Explains and enforces CAD/BIM procedures and standards.
12. Assist with the development of CAD/BIM standards.
13. May assist with identifying, developing and communicating appropriate design standards and process improvement activities.
14. May drive a vehicle to and from work sites.
15. Performs related duties as required.
If you are interested in a job like this, we are looking for people that have the following:
1. Four years of verified civil (including structural and/or transportation), or electrical, or mechanical technical engineering drafting experience using computer-aided software products, such as AutoCAD, Map 3D, Civil 3D and Revit, to prepare engineering drawings and other engineering graphic material, at least two years of which must have been in a position with duties comparable to those of Class 5362 Engineering Assistant. This experience must have been obtained within the last seven years. AND
· Two (2) or more years of experience using Autodesk Revit software to prepare Structural 3D design models, engineering drawings and other engineering graphic outputs.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Verification of required work experience typically must be on the employer’s letterhead, and must include the applicant’s name, job title, description of job duties, dates of employment, hours per week, and signature of the employer, supervisor, or appropriate representative.
Employees of the City and County of San Francisco may submit performance evaluations showing duties performed to verify qualifying City experience. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee's class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Commission Rules. CCSF employees will not receive credit for experience obtained outside of their classification unless recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Rule 110.9.1/111A.11.2.
Experience claimed in self-employment will only be accepted if supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to minimum qualifications above. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupation and total earnings must be submitted.
Verification of required valid licensure/certification typically must be a photocopy of the license/certificate including the name of the issuing agency as well as the name of the license/certificate holder, license/certificate number, and expiration date.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
· Select the desired job announcement
· Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
· Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
· Follow instructions on the screen
Need help completing the application?
Computers are available for the public from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
We communicate by email.
You may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is your responsibility to ensure that your registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, you must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on your computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, you should set up your email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses: @sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu. You will receive a confirmation email that your online application has been received in response to every announcement for which you apply. You should retain the confirmation email for your records. Failure to receive the email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
Word of advice:
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
Have questions about the application process?
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the Human Resources analyst, Tina Siu, by telephone at 415-554-2403, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Reasonable Accommodation Request: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
Veteran’s Preference: Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#veteranspreference
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20
Copies of Application Documents: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#copies
Right to Work: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#identification. All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Issued: January 17, 2020 to January 31, 2020, reissued July 15, 2020
Micki Callahan, Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID: PEX-5364-103263 | 01124638
PUC | TS | 415-554-2403
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.