9172 Manager II, MTA (Assistant Division Manager)
|Department||Municipal Transportation Agency|
|Date Opened||7/14/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/23/2021 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$115,544.00 - $147,524.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
*ANNOUNCEMENT UPDATED 7/28/2021 TO REFLECT NEW CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT*
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. For details on how it is applicable to your employment, please click here.
Make sure you read the entire announcement before completing the application form.
The purpose of this announcement is to fill a vacant position in this classification.
Section/Unit: Transit Operations
Work Location: Various Division Sites
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Permanent Exempt - This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
Under general administrative direction, the 9172 Manager II, MTA (Assistant Division Manager) assists in the management of a variety of transit service activities in the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) bus and rail divisions. The incumbent supervises, trains, evaluates, and assigns work to division staff ranging from 100 to 500, and assists with maintaining morale, providing motivation and enforcing discipline. The Assistant Division Manager administers and oversees the daily functions of the division, manages complex special projects, substitutes for other Assistant Division Manager and/or acts as the 9174 Manager IV, MTA (Division Manager) in their absence, and performs related duties as required.
The 9172 Manager II, MTA (Assistant Division Manager) may be assigned to any bus or rail divisions, and/or to perform special project(s) or other tasks not specifically listed below provided that the assignment is consistent with the level of responsibility of the Manager II, MTA position. The position is subject to twenty-four (24) hour call-backs during emergency situations.
Nature of work: Due to the regular schedule and demand of the job, some assignments may require incumbents to work rotating shifts, evenings, holidays and weekends and may be assigned to be on standby status.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Supervises, trains, evaluates, and assigns work to staff by instructing staff and other personnel; monitors staff compliance with rules and procedures, policies, regulations, practices, equipment/vehicle use; evaluates staff work performance and recommends areas of improvement; schedules and assigns personnel and equipment; and emphasizes safety in the work place.
- Administers discipline by assisting with re-training, counseling, disciplinary investigations, and Skelly/grievance meetings.
- Writes, reviews, and evaluates a variety of reports, correspondence, and instructions utilizing various computer software programs. Reviews passenger service reports to identify and recommend course of action when necessary.
- Responds to accidents/incidents; conducts interviews and investigations to make assessments and provide instructions and/or recommendations as necessary.
- Serves as a Liaison for the SFMTA. Participates in public relations activities and provides information to internal divisions, other city departments, community groups, and the general public as needed.
- Functions successfully within a team-based environment utilizing excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Leads meetings and coordinates with other management staff.
- Leads efforts in planning, developing, and interpreting/implementing policy. This includes assisting with initiating and/or implementing the smooth operation of daily, routine and special events.
- Coordinates responses to emergency situations. Deploys personnel and handles emergency situations, accidents, or service delays. Takes appropriate actions to restore and/or re-route service.
- Participates in developing goals and objectives for a specific work group including workforce planning.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; AND
- Four (4) years of work experience at mass transit agency which includes two (2) years of supervisory experience; AND
- Possession of a valid, unrestricted, Class C Driver License; AND
- Demonstrates basic proficiency in utilizing computer applications related to the work of the assigned unit (to be tested during the selection process or appointment).
Additional qualifying experience at a mass transit agency may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis. One-year (2000 hours) will be considered equivalent to thirty (30) semester units/forty-five (45) quarter units.
- This position may require the ability to transport work-related materials and equipment weighing up to 50lbs.
- Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications at the time of filing date unless otherwise noted.
- One year full-time experience is equivalent to 2000 hours. (2000 hour of qualifying work experience based on a 40-hour work week.). Any overtime hours that you work above forty (40) hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time experience.
- Two (2) years or more of supervisory experience or management capacity.
- Experience in identifying problems and developing solutions.
- Experience in evaluating staff on work performance and coaching.
- Knowledge or experience in labor relations, discipline process, and contract management.
- Strong leadership skills including ability to identify issues and solve problems effectively.
- Experience in conducting investigations and recommending appropriate action.
- Track record of effective customer service, public relations, and media relations management.
- Experience with regulatory agencies in a transit environment (CHP, FTA, FRA, and CPUC).
- Be able to handle on-site crisis events.
- Knowledge and experience using Microsoft suite of programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, OneNote, and Teams.
HOW TO APPLY:
City and County of San Francisco employment applications for this position will be accepted through an on-line process only. A resume and cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications must be attached to the online application. Mailed, hand-delivered or faxed applications will not be accepted. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to begin the application process.
- Click and select 9172 Manager II, MTA (Assistant Division Manager) (PEX-9172-112889)
- Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Click on “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or on “I have REGISTERED PREVIOUSLY”
- Follow instructions given on the screen.
To submit resume using the online application:
- Select the “Resume” tab in the online application
- Follow instructions given on screen
To submit cover letter using the online application:
- Select the “Other” tab in the online application
- Choose “Upload” as your method of submittal
- Click on “Upload Attachment”
- Follow instructions given on screen
If you are having trouble attaching your resume and cover letter to the online application, you may submit by email at Keaney.Chan@sfmta.com, Subject: 9172 Manager II, MTA (Assistant Division Manager) (PEX-9172-112889). Resume will not be accepted in lieu of completing the online application.
In order to comply with social distancing guidelines due to COVID-19, staff is working remotely at this time. As a result, the Department of Human Resources (DHR)'s and SFMTA's Human Resources offices are currently closed to the general public. We highly recommend applications be completed early. If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, please contact us at 415.646.4565 between 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants may be contacted by e-mail. It is their responsibility to ensure that their registered e-mail address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses: (@sfgov.org, @sfmta.com).
Upon successful submittal of the application online, the applicant will receive a notification on the screen, as well as in the applicant’s e-mail inbox, acknowledging the receipt of the application.
If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, please contact us at 415.646.4565 between 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying experience and education at any point in the application and/or departmental selection process. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying name of employee, dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
Qualified applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must contact the Agency by phone at 415.646.4565 or, if hearing impaired at 415.701.5043 (TTY) or in writing to the SFMTA Human Resources, Talent Acquisition Division Services Unit, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103 (specify Class 9172 Manager II, MTA (Assistant Division Manager) - Transit Division).
Applicants are responsible for updating their email address or mailing address. Contact Information must be updated online at http://www.jobaps.com/sf by clicking on “Update My Contact Info” and logging into your account. If updating contact information online, applicants must contact the analyst at 415.646.4565 immediately to inform them of the change. Failure to do so may result in the loss of eligibility.
Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) has determined that Class 9172 Manager II, MTA (Assistant Division Manager) is a “safety-sensitive” position, under regulations issued by the Federal Transit Administration (49 CFR Part 655). Federal law requires that all transit employees who perform safety-sensitive functions be subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return-to-duty and follow-up drug and alcohol testing. All applicants for Safety-Sensitive positions shall undergo urine drug testing prior to employment and within 90 days prior to performing Safety-Sensitive functions for the first time. Receipt by the SFMTA of a negative test result is required prior to the employee being placed on the payroll. The SFMTA will not consider hiring any person who tested positive, adulterated, substituted or refused to submit to testing for a minimum of two years following the positive test.
In addition, each applicant who has worked for a Department of Transportation (DOT)-regulated employer(s) within the last two years will be required to sign a consent form, prior to appointment, authorizing SFMTA to obtain information from his/her prior employers concerning his/her drug and alcohol test history. Each applicant will also be required to provide SFMTA with information regarding whether, during the last two years, the applicant tested positive or refused to test on any pre-employment drug or alcohol test administered by an employer to which the applicant applied for, but did not obtain, safety-sensitive transportation work covered by DOT drug and alcohol testing rules. SFMTA will not hire any applicant for a safety-sensitive position who fails to provide this information or fails to provide written consent for the release of information from prior employers.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#applicantswithdisabilities
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|