9976 Product Manager
|Department||Department of Technology|
|Date Opened||12/6/2017 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$84,084.00 - $105,742.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
The City and County of San Francisco is looking for an experienced Product Manager to join our growing Digital Services team. We have some exciting and high-profile products in our pipeline, from re-building the city’s website from the ground up in Drupal 8, to creating a Cannabis digital service. You will be part of our growing team and as well as making excellent digital services you will work with departments to help them understand Agile ways of working and a user- centered design approach to building services.
You will work closely with city departments and stakeholders at all levels, as well as developers, and designers on our team, plus external vendor teams. You will oversee the design, development and implementation of new and existing digital products.
The San Francisco Digital Services Team is transforming how residents interact with the city by building services designed around the people that use them. Led by the Chief Digital Services Officer, the team is comprised of product managers, designers, business analysts, developers, and content strategists. As a member of this new team, you’d have an opportunity to shape the City’s approach to digital services.
Essential Job Duties and Functions:
- Plan discovery processes and development roadmaps.
- Manage products with the wider service in mind
- Write high quality user stories and groom them, and do acceptance testing
- Monitor data and analyze to look for problems and opportunities
- Develop success metrics
- Feed data into policy
- Articulate dependencies and account for them
- Unblock delays and barriers
- Ensure products are accessible and multi-lingual
- Develop strong stakeholder relationships at every level
- Manage release planning, QA, and testing
- Manage resourcing in collaboration with the design and development teams
- Lead and participate in Sprint Planning Meetings to prioritize and scope work for a sprint
- Manage feature tradeoff decisions across the product roadmap
- Work with departments to help them understand Agile, and manage stakeholders so that the product team gets quick decisions and is supported at a senior level
- Provide Engineering with decision support and the "voice of the customer"
- Blog about your work and share lessons with the wider civic tech community in the city and beyond
- Use prototyping to identify powerful value propositions and figure out how to execute on them.
- Lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams to explore, prototype, and define the end-to-end product experience.
- Evaluate the benefits and trade-offs of different technical solutions in collaboration with the engineering team and make decisions.
- Evaluate products in the market and make strong build / buy recommendations
- Evaluate different vendors and build strong working relationships with our vendor partners.
- Identifying primary users, secondary users, and keep user need at the center of your work.
- Partner with designers to brainstorm solutions
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams of service designers, UX designers, engineers, operational staff and business owners.
- Review and approve the results of an engineering sprint
- Sustain an energized and inspired team - motivate without micro-management.
- Facilitate urgency and progress while maintaining work-life balance
- Ensure that teams keep forward momentum, and balance the need for exploration and focused development as appropriate
The Permanent Exempt- Full Time position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer. This project position will not exceed result in an eligible list or permanent civil service hiring.
Nature of Work: Incumbent must be willing to work normal business hours and extra hours when necessary as determined by the department. Travel within San Francisco may be required. Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, 1 South Van Ness. However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as necessary.
Nature of Work:
Incumbent must be willing to work normal business hours and extra hours when necessary as determined by the department. Travel within San Francisco may be required. Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, 1 South Van Ness. However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as necessary.
Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, 1 South Van Ness. However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as necessary.
Two (2) or more years of recent experience as a Product Manager for web or mobile products.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- Passion for public service
- Experience using design thinking to solve complex problems
- Experience identifying and designing based on customer needs.
- Experience conducting user/design research or worked closely with design researchers. You value and use both qualitative customer insights, and quantitative customer data to inform decisions.
- Experience balancing the development of new features, with the need to keep products simple and elegant.
- Experience using agile (Scrum / Kanban) to develop products
- Experience managing product teams of 3+ individuals of diverse backgrounds towards a common goal
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to influence and build consensus across a broad range of backgrounds, organizational levels and personalities
- You must be able to influence and motivate talented and brilliant engineers.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication that can adapt for different audiences
- High emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- A sense of humor, patience, and resilience when things get tough.
- Experience developing enterprise products
- Technical and / or design background
- Data and analytical skills
- Expertise in machine learning and AI
- Able to translate product requirements into wireframes or mockups to gather quick customer research or gather feedback from internal teams
- Experience of working in the public sector
- Passion for open standards.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Patrick Cheng, by telephone at 415-581-3911, or by email at Patrick.email@example.com. (Email preferred)
Note: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#applicantswithdisabilities
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents: Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work: All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Issued: December 6th, 2017
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 082525
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|