1634 Principal Account Clerk
|Date Opened||2/27/2020 12:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$35.11 - $42.68/hour|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
1634 Principal Account Clerk
APPOINTMENT TYPE: This Temporary Exempt (TEX) Category 18 position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer. The duration of this appointment shall not exceed 36 months.
This 1634 Principal Account Clerk works in the Controller’s Accounting Operations and Suppliers Division (AOSD), with significant assignments in Asset Management. The 1634 may also support Citywide accounting operations and financial analysis as part of the Controller’s Financial & Accounting Support Team (FAST).
Overall, AOSD is responsible for monitoring, tracking, approving and establishing guidelines, policies and procedures for central accounting across all City departments, including all City funds and grants. The City’s online accounting system, PeopleSoft, is used extensively in this work. The City’s data warehouse and analytical tool, Oracle Business Intelligence (BI), and Excel are also heavily used. The Asset Management team of AOSD manages the City’s fixed assets recording and reporting.
Under general supervision, the 1634 performs difficult bookkeeping and financial record keeping operations within complex accounting systems and may direct the work of other clerical staff. The person selected for this position will be required to interpret, enforce and carry out existing policies and procedures relative to financial record keeping activities; make regular contacts with other departmental personnel and the general public in connection with bookkeeping and financial operations; prepare and maintain a variety of complex financial and bookkeeping records and reports; post, adjust, and balance entries to ledgers; verify the correctness of accounting documents; respond to inquiries and provide financial information; organize and file source documents; perform operations involving automated accounting systems and spreadsheet programs and perform related duties as required.
Essential duties of the job include but are not limited to:
• Process financial, accounting, budget, general ledger, payables, purchasing, encumbrance and other transactions using PeopleSoft
• Ensure accurate and timely recording of financial data in compliance with Controller’s policies and procedures
• Perform financial data cleanup
• Generate reports and queries as needed to support tasks using Oracle Business Intelligence, PeopleSoft Query, and PeopleSoft nVision
• Prepare GASB 84 and 87 related spreadsheets and audit binders
• Assist in year-end closing
• Assist with preparation of reports and financial audits, preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), and reporting to other government agencies, as needed.
• Provide feedback and clerical support on Policies and Procedures in use or proposed by the Controller’s Office or other department
• Act as a liaison between City departments and AOSD
• Review and manage 10-Key to foot and cross foot financial statements
• Compile CAFR draft binder for the Controller, senior management, and external auditors
• Research information in PeopleSoft and the City’s legacy financial system
• Reconcile various accounting and financial reports between different sources and systems, including between the legacy accounting system and current PeopleSoft system
• Respond verbally and in writing to phone, email and in-person questions and requests for information from the public and staff from other departments
• Sort and file various accounting, financial and system documents
• Train Controller’s and departmental staff as assigned
• Create reports and logs using Excel, Word, PowerPoint, or other software.
• Direct work of other clerical staff
• Assumes FAST assignments as needed
• Other duties as required
1. Two (2) years (equivalent to 4,000 hours) of verifiable experience in a position supervising and directing accounting and/or financial transaction functions. OR
2. Fours (4) years (equivalent to 8,000 hours) of verifiable experience processing financial and accounting matters (e.g., cost records, deposits, expenditures, allocations), bookkeeping, and/or financial record keeping. Such experience typically includes verifying correctness of financial documents, maintaining expenditure records and reconciling subsidiary accounts.
Substitution of Experience:
30 semester units / 45 quarter units of coursework from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 12 semester units (or equivalent quarter units) in accounting may be substituted for up to one (1) year of the required experience as described in #1 or #2.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at https://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Carlos Benitez, by telephone at 415-554-7530, or by email at email@example.com.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Acting Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 104316
CON/ CB / 415-577-5348
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|