|Department||Department of Public Health|
|Date Opened||8/3/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$26.15 - $31.76/hour|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Temporary Exempt (TEX). Some positions are limited to 1,040 work hours in a year, while other positions can last up to two (2) years. Exempt employees are considered "at will" and serve at the discretion of the department head.
The San Francisco Department of Public Health (DPH) is hiring for temporary exempt positions in class 2736 Porter. Positions are located throughout the Department of Public Health, including Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG), Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center (LHH), Community Primary Care and Mental Health Clinics, as well as San Francisco County Jails.
Shift: Day, evenings, nights, swing, graveyard, weekends and/or holiday shifts, may be required.
The applicant pool resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill future TEX positions in this class at various locations within DPH.
General Job Description:
Under supervision, the Porter performs a variety of routine manual tasks in cleaning floors, hallways, stairs, walls, furniture and equipment in a large institution, and transporting food, utensils, equipment and supplies between locations. Examples of essential duties include the following:
- Sweeps and wet mops the floors in halls, wards, laboratories, treatment rooms, stairways and other areas throughout an institution;
- Scrubs and waxes floors with the aid of electric scrubbing and buffing equipment;
- Empties waste baskets into larger trash cans and takes the trash to the incinerator; takes wet garbage to garbage room; collect, handle, and transport biohazardous waste;
- Washes and cleans face bowls, commodes, bath tubs and other bathroom fixtures and replenishes supplies such as paper towels, toilet tissue, soap, and light bulbs as needed;
- Dusts, cleans and washes all furniture, equipment, walls, and woodwork throughout an institution;
- Gathers soiled linen on the various assigned wards and loads into the laundry chute; sterilizes mattresses, pillows, and bed linens;
- Transports food and utensils by pushing a food gurney from the kitchen to the various wards; moves furniture, equipment and other items within an institution as required and may carry ice to various wards; assists in loading and unloading trucks, and uncrates and assembles furniture and equipment;
- Upon the discharge of a patient, may be assigned to complete the discharge cleaning function which includes, but is not limited to, the dusting, cleaning, and disinfecting of patient rooms, floors, walls, bathrooms, furniture and light fixtures, all horizontal and vertical surfaces, restroom, and the changing of the patient’s bed;
- May occasionally have limited responsibility for the checking and storing of a small variety of supplies, such as dirty and clean linen, office supplies, and printed forms;
- May occasionally wash and clean window glass and electric fixtures while standing on ladders or scaffolds set on the ground level or from interior heights; and
- As directed, may occasionally perform the duties of a Porter Assistant Supervisor.
The Porter also performs other related duties as assigned.
Working Conditions: Positions require the use of chemicals and cleaners; properly lift and move supplies, furniture, and/or equipment weighing up to 60 pounds; use sustained physical effort to perform job duties; climb a ladder to perform job duties; work in inclement weather conditions; may be required to wear a uniform; and will be required to participate in training courses. Some positions may require employees to work directly with individuals within locked jails and psychiatric facilities, the homeless population and/or individuals who have or are carriers of infectious/communicable diseases.
1. Six (6) months (1040 hours) verifiable paid full-time custodial or janitorial experience at a commercial building (such as an office building, warehouse, retail or wholesale store), or non-profit agency or a commercial facility (such as a university, hospital stadium, auditorium,hotel/motel, etc.); OR
2. Certificate of completion of a Custodial Training Program equivalent to those certified by theCity and County of San Francisco Human Services Agency; OR
3. Verification of current enrollment in a custodial training course equivalent to those certified by the City and County of San Francisco Human Services Agency at the time of application. Candidates who are enrolled in a custodial training course at the time of application must submit verification of having completed the course (e.g., a copy of their certificate), prior to appointment. Candidates will remain under waiver until such time that verification is provided.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
Any overtime hours that you work above 40 hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time employment.
Desirable Qualifications: The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- Willingness to uphold/abide by ZSFG’s ICARE (I-Introduce, C-Connect, A-Ask, R-Respond, E-Exit) philosophy for employee and patient interactions: https://zuckerbergsanfranciscogeneral.org/about-us/.
Verification of Experience: http://sfdhr.org/getting-job#verification
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
Verification of Education: If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at https://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
In line with the Official Public Health Order to slow the spread of COVID-19, “shelter-in-place” has been issued for all San Francisco residents that is expected to be in effect until further notice. As a result, Department of Human Resources (DHR)’s office (located at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103) is currently closed to the general public. If you have any questions, please feel free to email the Human Resources Analyst listed on this announcement.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. RESUMES WILL NOT BE REVIEWED. IF YOU ARE COPYING AN OLD APPLICATION, PLEASE TAKE TIME TO UPDATE YOUR APPLICATION BEFORE SUBMITTING.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Juliette Soto by telephone at 415-554-2915, or by email at Juliette.Soto@sfdph.org
Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire (Weight: Qualifying): Candidates will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the online employment application. This Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire is designed to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's experience in relation to the Minimum Qualifications for this position. Applicants must also complete the official application. It is essential that applicants provide complete information in identifying their education, experience and training. The Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire will be used to evaluate if the applicant possesses the required minimum qualifications.
Depending on the number of applicants, the Department may establish and implement additional screening mechanisms to comparatively evaluate qualifications of candidates.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Statement on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: At the City and County of San Francisco, we share a commitment to a diverse, inclusive and equitable community. Each member of our organization is responsible and accountable for what they say and do to make San Francisco an inclusive and equitable place to live and work by employing fair and just practices to and for all.
Licensure/Certification/Registration: Valid licensure/certification/registration as a requirement to perform the job must be kept current throughout length of employment. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of required valid licensure/certification/registration may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Note on Electronic Health Record (EHR): The Department of Public Health (DPH) is implementing a unified Electronic Health Record (EHR) system and DPH employees must demonstrate competency in the use of the system that is appropriate for their classification as a condition of employment.
Note on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Some positions in the Department of Public Health will require the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), including but not limited to gloves, gowns, eye and face protection, and face-fitting respirators. The requirement for the use of PPE may come on short or no notice. Facial hair or any condition that interferes with a facefitting respirator’s seal (i.e. comes between the sealing surfaces of the respirator and the wearer’s bare skin) is not permitted when face-fitting respirators are worn, including during initial or periodic respirator fit-testing. Employees who choose not to shave and do not have either American Disabilities Act (ADA) or Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Accommodations do not have the right to alternate work assignments or the option of using a loose-fitting Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) in place of a FaceFitting Respirator.
Medical Examination/Drug Testing: Prior to appointment, at the Department's expense, applicants may be required to take a tuberculosis (TB) screening test, a medical examination and/or drug test.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures: Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents: Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work: All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Requests: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#applicantswithdisabilities
Issued: August 3, 2020
Acting Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 904135
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|