5203 Assistant Engineer (Electrical)
|Department||Municipal Transportation Agency|
|Date Opened||6/3/2019 3:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/1/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$92,924.00 - $112,944.00/year|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION HAS BEEN EXTENDED THROUGH JULY 1, 2019 AT 5:00PM.
The following information describes the civil service classification for which applications are being solicited.
Make sure you read the entire announcement before completing the application form.
The purpose of this announcement is to fill a vacant positions in this classification.
Division: Finance and Information Technology
Section/Unit: Information Technology/Systems Integrations for ITS
Work Location: 1 South Van Ness, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Temporary Exempt, Full Time not to exceed three (3) years – This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
Technology is at the core of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency's (SFMTA’s) mission and its future. SFMTA Technology Services team is looking for an electrical engineer with a passion for Transportation and experience in train control management systems. Bring your technical and system integration expertise to transform San Francisco’s unique infrastructure with innovative technology. We are modernizing transportation with implementing new systems at a rapid pace. This is an opportunity to take a pivotal role in working with stakeholders and business units across the SFMTA and to positively impact the lives of all San Francisco residents and many more visitors and commuters who use our transportation services and infrastructure.
Under general direction of the Project Manager, the Assistant Engineer will support delivery of system integration and train control management system projects.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Reviews and validates designs, diagrams, and plans for system engineering projects.
• Ensures conformance with plans, specifications and codes; checks and records work progress at various stages of the project.
• Gathers, prepares and maintains system engineering data and reports.
• Prepares departmental reports concerning the progress of projects, the results of studies, plans for future improvements, and other related matters.
• Provides responses to technical inquires and requests for information by construction contractors; responds to inquiries regarding engineering policies, standards, and other related project activities.
• Provides detailed analysis and presents technical design options.
• Participates in development of test plans and procedures; performs field testing and documents testing results and troubleshooting.
• Reviews and analyzes field data and results of research to determine necessary corrective measures.
• Follows and maintains a systematic, documented, comprehensive, and verifiable systems integration process to be applied throughout the Project’s life cycle
• Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
A. Possession of a baccalaureate degree or graduate degree from an engineering program with a major in Electrical Engineering; AND
B. Possession of a valid Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certificate issued by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES); AND
C. One (1) year of verifiable professional Electrical Engineering experience performing at least three of the following tasks:
a. Preparing or assisting in preparing studies, designs, drawings, sketches, and plans using AutoCAD and other software tools
b. Collecting data to assess project needs and define project scope through site visits, surveying, review of existing documents, reports, drawing and manuals, performing measurements, collecting samples, or/and interviews with the stakeholders.
c. Preparing or assisting in the preparation of contract specifications, lists of materials, cost estimates, schedules, and progress payments.
d. Preparing or assisting in the preparation of engineering reports and reports concerning field conditions, the progress of projects, the results of studies, and other matters.
e. Conducting data analyses and mathematical calculations, in order to determine type or size of material or equipment.
f. Conducting routine field inspections of construction and repair projects in progress to ensure conformance with plans, specifications and codes; checks and records work progress at various construction sites.
Note: Internships, drafting experience and student design work do not qualify as professional engineering experience.
2. Possession of a Professional Engineer (PE) license in Electrical Engineering from the California Board of Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
One year full-time experience is equivalent to 2000 hours. (2000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week.). Any overtime hours that you work above forty (40) hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time experience.
• Experience in Transit system design or Systems Integration.
• Experience in Railroad signaling/wayside, traction power, and communications validation testing.
• Demonstrated initiative, drive, leadership, communication, & interpersonal skills.
• Excellent organization and planning skills – document control and reporting.
• Proficient in MS Office, MS Project or Primavera, Rational ReqPro or Doors.
• Self-motivated and a team player with a collaborative approach.
• Familiar with FRA compliance requirements for PTC systems including PTCDP, PTCIP, RSD and PTCSP plans.
• Familiar with United States Code of Federal Regulations 49 CFR 236 subparts H, I, and other CFR requirements relative to implementation of Positive Train Control.
HOW TO APPLY:
City and County of San Francisco employment applications for this position will be accepted through an on-line process only. A resume and cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications must be attached to the online application. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed applications will not be accepted. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to begin the application process.
• Click and select 5203 Assistant Engineer (Electrical) (TEX-5203-095200)
• Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
• Click on “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or on “I have
• Follow instructions given on the screen.
To submit resume using the online application:
• Select the “Resume” tab in the online application
• Follow instructions given on the screen
To submit cover letter using the online application:
• Select the “Other” tab in the online application
• Choose “Upload” as your method of submittal
• Click on “Upload Attachment”
• Follow instructions given on the screen
If you are having trouble attaching your resume and cover letter to the online application, you may submit by fax to (415) 581-5120, ATTN: 5203 Assistant Engineer (Electrical) (TEX-5203-095200). Résumé will not be accepted in lieu of completing the online application.
Computer kiosks are available for the public from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to file online applications in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco and in the lobby of SFMTA Human Resources office, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by e-mail. It is their responsibility to ensure that their registered e-mail address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses: (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org).
Upon successful submittal of the application online, the applicant will receive a notification on the screen, as well as in the applicant’s e-mail inbox, acknowledging the receipt of the application by the SFMTA - Operations Section. If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, please contact us at (415) 646-2744 between 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the analyst, Lisamarie Gibson, by telephone at (415) 646-2744 or by email at Lisamarie.Gibson@sfmta.com.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point in the application and/or departmental selection process. Written verification (proof) of qualifying experience must verify that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications stated on the examination announcement. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Commission Rules. Experience claimed in self-employment must be supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to the minimum qualifications of the position. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupations and total earnings must be submitted. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
Qualified applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must contact the SFMTA by phone at (415) 646-2744 or, if hearing impaired at (415) 701-5043 (TTY) or in writing to the SFMTA Human Resources, HR Operations Section, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103 (specify Class 5203).
Applicants are responsible for updating their email address or mailing address. Contact Information must be updated online at http://www.jobaps.com/sf by clicking on “Update My Contact Info” and logging into your account. If updating contact information online, applicants must contact the analyst at (415) 646-2744 immediately to inform them of the change. Failure to do so may result in the loss of eligibility.
Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
EMPLOYEE WELLNESS PROGRAM:
The SFMTA strives to be your employer of choice by providing an environment that supports your personal health & wellbeing with physical, nutritional, mental/emotional and financial resources.
Since 2010 the SFMTA has been providing worksite wellness activities, as well as providing recognition opportunities to those individuals who success-fully achieve personal milestones in wellness.
For more details on the Wellness Program, please visit Employee Wellness Program Description page
MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.