7281 Street Environmental Services Operations Supervisor
|Department||San Francisco Public Works|
|Date Opened||1/8/2019 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/22/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$43.19 - $52.48/hour; $7,486.00 - $9,096.00/month; $89,830.00 - $109,148.00/year|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
POSITION: Under direction, the Apprenticeship Coordinator monitors, evaluates, oversees aspects of the Apprenticeship Program; provides support to the 7501 Apprentice General Laborers engaged in street cleaning work, construction and maintenance work, 3408 Apprentice Arborist Technician receive training in performing arboriculture duties in connection with a wide variety of tree and shrub trimming and maintenance activities including assessing and evaluating the condition of trees and other vegetation, and the 3410 Apprentice Gardeners engaged in care and maintenance of a variety of plants and landscaped areas, including planting, pruning and pest control; removes debris and litter; operates hand or power lawn mower; performs routine maintenance of tools and equipment.
Example of Important and Essential Duties:
1. Provides support to the 7501 Apprentice General Laborers, 3408 Apprentice Arborist Technician and 3410 Apprentice Gardener and their supervisors.
2. Supervises subordinate personnel by planning, organizing, assigning, overseeing, and evaluating the work of subordinate supervisors; includes responsibility for completing performance evaluations, coordinating training including safety training, enforcing the code of safe work practices, performing and documenting inspections of work in progress and completed work, and participating in disciplinary matters.
3. Provides answers to program questions.
4. Completes reports and correspondences.
5. Attends Apprenticeship Board and key subcommittee meetings.
6. Investigates and resolves complaints.
7. Schedule and facilitate support meetings with help from SES/BUF/BBR administration and Training and Development Unit; Track apprentice hours for various apprenticeships.
8. Provides reports from meeting with Management, 7501 Apprentice General Laborers, 3408 Apprentice Arborist Technician and 3410 Apprentice Gardener.
9. Coordinates training and special events with help from Training and Development Unit including the Construction Craft Training and Strybing training.
10. Coordinates department efforts with Alternative Work Participants.
11. Attends weekly Supervisor meetings.
12. Liaison with Local 261.
13. Drives a vehicle to work sites and meetings.
14. Attends meetings and public hearings as representative of the bureau with business and neighborhood groups, volunteer groups, and the general public.
15. Assist with scheduling Apprentice training courses and assignment rotations.
16. Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
JOB TYPE: This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer. This position has an anticipated duration of three (3) years and will not result in an eligible list or permanent civil service hiring.
WORK LOCATION: Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the San Francisco Public Works, 2323 Cesar Chavez, San Francisco, CA 94124. However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as required.
NATURE OF WORK: The nature of the work may require working in inclement weather conditions, around trash and refuse and working variable shifts including weekends and holidays.
1. Two (2) years of experience as a supervisor (with a full range of supervisory duties) of a group of workers engaged in environmental services activities in the public right of way (streets, medians and sidewalks) including manual and mechanical street cleaning, graffiti abatement, enforcement of applicable codes, laws and ordinances, litter and debris removal, urban forestry and/or landscape maintenance; AND Desirable Qualifications: 1. Excellent written and oral communication skills. 2. Ability to prepare and maintain a wide variety of documents, correspondence, generate spreadsheets and reports as well as drafting memos, letters and other documentation. 3. Ability to comprehensively gather, collect and maintain information from various sources. 4. Familiarity with Apprentice and Pre-Apprenticeship Programs 5. Ability to monitor budgets and hours worked.
2. Possession and maintenance of a valid driver license
1. Two (2) years of experience as a supervisor (with a full range of supervisory duties) of a group of workers engaged in environmental services activities in the public right of way (streets, medians and sidewalks) including manual and mechanical street cleaning, graffiti abatement, enforcement of applicable codes, laws and ordinances, litter and debris removal, urban forestry and/or landscape maintenance; AND
1. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
2. Ability to prepare and maintain a wide variety of documents, correspondence, generate spreadsheets and reports as well as drafting memos, letters and other documentation.
3. Ability to comprehensively gather, collect and maintain information from various sources.
4. Familiarity with Apprentice and Pre-Apprenticeship Programs
5. Ability to monitor budgets and hours worked.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement TEX-7281-903198
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification.
Resumes may be attached to the application; however, resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City and County of San Francisco application.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the analyst, Raquel Knighten, by telephone at 415-641-2603 or by email at Raquel.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Verification (proof) of Experience Applicants may be required to provide written verification (proof) of qualifying work experience at any time in the application, examination and/or departmental selection process to show that the minimum qualifications have been met. Verification of qualifying experience must be signed by the employer’s authorized representative on the employer's business letterhead, and specify the name of the applicant, dates of employment, job title(s), dates of service and duties performed. City and County of San Francisco employees do not need to submit verification of their City employment, but must submit verification of outside experience. City employment will be verified by the employee’s record. City and County of San Francisco employees will not receive credit for experience obtained outside of their classification unless recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Rule 110.9.1. For more information, please visit: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#verification
Verification documentation may be submitted by: 1. Uploading the documents through JobAps; OR 2. Scanning the documents and send as an attachment, with recruitment number in subject line; OR 3.Hand delivering or sending the documents via U.S. Postal mail to: General Services Agency, San Francisco Public Works Human Resources 2323 Cesar Chavez St., Building A, Room 15 San Francisco, CA 94124 Attention: TEX-7281-903198
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Applications will be reviewed for relevant qualifying education and experience. Only the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the interview process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed an invitation to the interview process.
The application procedure is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this recruitment, contact Raquel Knighten at 415-554-6000. Notification in advance will enable the department and County to evaluate arrangements to reasonably accommodate your need.
1. MEDICAL EXAMINATION: Prior to appointment, eligible candidates must successfully pass a medical examination to determine his/her ability to perform the essential function of this job.
2. MEDICAL TESTING: Prior to appointment, eligible candidates must successfully complete the TB testing Process.
3. SECURITY CLEARANCES AND BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS: Positions in this classification may require that successful candidates who become eligible for appointment may be required to go through a background investigation to determine the candidate’s suitability for employment in this classification. Factors considered in the investigation may include employment history, use of illegal/controlled substances. Reasons for rejection based on this investigation may include, but not limited to: applicable convictions, repeated or serious violations of the law, inability to accept supervision, inability to follow rules and regulations, falsification of application materials and/or other relevant factors. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination.
4. Drug testing requirement: Applicants for positions in this classification, who are not currently employed by the City and County of San Francisco in a safety-sensitive position represented by Local 261, are required to pass pre-employment drug and alcohol testing. All employees in this classification may also be subject to drug and alcohol testing upon reasonable suspicion or after a work-related accident. Applicants with a positive result from a pre-employment drug test will be restricted from hire in safety-sensitive function positions for six months after the date of the positive test.
The City and County of San Francisco’s Substance Abuse Policy, in compliance with the Department of Transportation Omnibus Transportation Employer Testing Act of 1991 employing the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulations, requires drug and alcohol testing for employees in “safety-sensitive” positions.The selected applicants for “safety-sensitive” positions will be required to pass a Pre-Employment drug test prior to appointment and shall be subject to Random, Post-Accident, Reasonable Suspicion, Return-To-Duty, and Follow-Up testing during employment. Prior to appointment to an FMCSA “safety-sensitive position, each applicant who has participated in a DOT drug and alcohol testing program within the immediately preceding two years will be required to sign a consent form authorizing the City to contact his/her prior employers concerning his/her drug and alcohol test history.”
THE CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Issued: January 8, 2019
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: TEX-7281-903198
GSA - San Francisco Public Works/ RK / 415-641-2603
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|