7308 Cable Splicer (Specialty A)
|Department||Department of Technology|
|Date Opened||2/21/2020 3:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$48.46 - $58.91/hour; $8,400.00 - $10,212.00/month; $100,802.00 - $122,538.00/year|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time but not earlier than March 6, 2020. This position is open until filled.
The Department of Technology is the centralized technology services provider within San Francisco City & county government, delivering technology infrastructure and services to approximately 33,000 employees and 800,000 residents. The department has an annual operating budget of over $130M and contains over 200 employees. Core service areas include: Infrastructure and Operations, Technology Security, Service Delivery & Management, Enterprise Applications, Project Management Office, Public Safety Systems & Wiring, Technology Administration, Policy & Governance and IT Public Communications. The Office of Civic Innovation (OCI) is a small but mighty team in the Department of Technology.
The Department of Technology’s Public Safety division operates and maintains several critical systems such as 911 Radio, Fiber, Emergency Alert, crime prevention camera, burglar alarm, fire alarm call box, PBX’s, VoIP phones and other in-building wiring and other similar systems.
Under general supervision, performs journey level cable repair and troubleshooting tasks relative to installation and maintenance of communication, data exchange, monitoring, and alarm systems owned or subscribed to by the City and County of San Francisco. Planning, installation, implementation and support of the systems and infrastructure.
- Installs, arranges, splices, terminates and tests data and telecommunication cables, including outdoor copper and/or fiber optics cables.
- Troubleshoots outdoor copper cable and fiber optic installations using copper analyzing equipment, optical time domain reflectometers (OTDRs), power meters and light sources, and other diagnostic tools, equipment and procedures.
- Locates and repairs fiber cable faults; installs underground cable; performs cable sizing, gauging, splicing, terminating and closing; uses proper confined space entry procedures in underground vaults.
- Performs installations, testing, and acceptance of circuits on both copper and fiber optic cabling.
- Performs splicing of fiber of various strands.
- Maintains and updates database of installation and repair work, service requests and work orders; maintains database of parts and components inventory.
- Provides technical expertise and information to engineering staff and outside wiring contractors as needed.
- Estimates cost of copper and fiber optic cable installations; maintains records of materials ordered.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB APPOINTMENT TYPE:
The temporary exempt, full time position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process. The successful candidate shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer. This position has an anticipated duration of up to thirty-six (36) months.
Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at various City Agencies throughout the City of San Francisco as well some remote CCSF facilities outside of the City and County of San Francisco. The incumbents primary reporting and dispatch location will be 200 Paul Ave SF CA, 94124.
NATURE OF WORK:
Candidate must be willing to work a 40- hour week as determined by the department. Travel within San Francisco may be required.
1. Specialty A: Four (4) years experience working in the telecommunications industry as a Cable Splicer, which includes two years experience installing, arranging, splicing, terminating and test copper cabling and two years experience installing, arranging, splicing, terminating and testing fiber optics cabling. AND
2. Possession of a current valid Driver License.
Performance of essential duties require: considerable physical effort and dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs and body; excellent visual acuity; exposure to inclement weather and working conditions that are somewhat disagreeable in underground locations; the use of ladders and aerial lift bucket; and lifting of up to 50 pounds of equipment.
1. MEDICAL TESTING: Prior to appointment, eligible candidates must successfully pass the TB testing process.
2. SECURITY CLEARANCES AND BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS: Positions in this classification may require that successful candidates who become eligible for appointment may be required to go through a background investigation to determine the candidate’s suitability for employment in this classification. Factors considered in the investigation may include employment history, use of illegal/controlled substances. Reasons for rejection based on this investigation may include, but not limited to: applicable convictions, repeated or serious violations of the law, inability to accept supervision, inability to follow rules and regulations, falsification of application materials and/or other relevant factors. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobapscloud.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Carol Wong, by telephone at 628-652-5045, or by email at email@example.com.
Resumes may be attached to the application; however, resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City and County of San Francisco application.
Note: Falsifying one's education, training or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Supplemental Questionnaire (Qualifying and Informational):
Applicants will be prompted to complete a supplemental questionnaire as part of the online employment application. It is essential that applicants provide complete information in identifying their education, experience, training and licensure, consistent with the information provided on their application. The supplemental questionnaire will be used to evaluate whether applicants meet the minimum qualifications. The Questionnaire will also be used to assess the applicant's knowledge, skills, and abilities as they relate to the this position. Applicants must also complete the official application. The information in the supplemental questionnaire will not be scored and is collected for informational purposes.
The Department may establish and implement additional screening mechanisms to comparatively evaluate qualifications of candidates. If this becomes necessary, only those applicants whose qualifications most closely meet the needs of the Department will be invited for an interview.
Note: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process.
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobapscloud.com/sf.
Requests: Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at: http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#applicantswithdisabilities
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States. Please be informed that the Department of Technology will not sponsor visa applications/transfer.
Issued: February 21, 2020
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: TEX-7308-103444
DL/ CW / 628-652-5045
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|