|Department||Municipal Transportation Agency|
|Date Opened||10/2/2019 08:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/7/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$75,920.00 - $92,248.00/year|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
The following information describes the civil service classification for which applications are being solicited.
Make sure you read the entire announcement before completing the application form.
The purpose of this announcement is to fill a vacant position in this classification.
Division: Sustainable Streets
Section/Unit: Field Operations/Paint Shop
Work Location: 1561 Wallace Avenue, San Francisco, CA
Hours: Monday – Friday, 6:00am – 2:30pm
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Temporary Exempt, Full Time – This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
Under general supervision and in support of the Vision Zero Quick Build Design and Construction projects, the 7346 Painter performs skilled journey-level painting work through the application of paint materials to many types of interior and exterior surfaces which include: buildings, structures and equipment.
These positions require experience in painting streets, airfields, curbs and/or parking lots; the ability to wear appropriate forms of safety protection. Overtime and work outside of the City may also be required.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Applies paints and other protective or decorative finishes to various exterior or interior of buildings, including painting and finishing of partitions, window casings, doors, cabinets, cases and woodwork; paints street equipment, traffic or airfield markings, playground facilities and other outdoor structures.
• Prepares surfaces for painting, including erecting and hanging scaffolding; removes all paint or varnish by scraping or sanding; washes, cleans and patches surfaces and otherwise prepares surfaces, such as wood, metal, glass, stucco, wallboard, brick, cement, tape and drywall for painting.
• Mixes and prepares paints, lacquers, varnishes, shellacs and other preservatives; selects, blends and matches colors in proper proportions.
• Assembles and operates various types of painting equipment, including spray guns, pressure washer, grinder, high reach power and other equipment; cleans and maintains brushes and other painting equipment; disposes of hazardous materials.
• Occasionally performs more exacting painting, including lettering and touch-up work.
• Transports and delivers paint, materials, and various types of painting equipment to the worksite.
• May occasionally plan work programs, including estimating and ordering materials and equipment required for assigned project.
• Prepares estimates, work orders and other project-related documentation.
• Performs related duties as required.
Completion of a recognized painters’ apprenticeship program; AND
Two (2) years of verifiable experience as a journey-level painter which included a combination of painting exteriors and interiors of buildings, structures equipment, roadways and airfields. Experience solely in automotive or sign painting does not qualify.
License and Certification
Possession and maintenance of a valid Class C California’s Driver’s License.
Education Substitution: Additional qualifying experience can be substituted for the apprenticeship on a year-for-year basis.
1. Some positions may require the following Special Condition: six (6) months verifiable experience in painting Airfields, highways and/or roadways governed by Federal Laws and Regulations.
2. Some positions may require the ability to maintain a California Lead Worker Certification. Failure to do so may result in suspension or termination of employment.
3. Applicants selected for employment must be insurable and maintain insurability under the department’s automobile liability insurance policy. Failure to do so may result in suspension or termination of employment.
• Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
• One year full-time experience is equivalent to 2000 hours. (2000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week.). Any overtime hours that you work above forty (40) hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time experience.
• Knowledge of traffic striping.
• Experience in painting streets, airfields, curbs and/or parking lots.
NATURE OF WORK:
Physical Requirements: Positions require sustained physical effort with considerable standing, bending and heavy lifting (approximately 60-80 lbs.); working in confined spaces; intermittent exposure to hazardous materials and poorly ventilated areas; exposure to hazardous heights, streets and roadways. May be required to wear appropriate and various safety protection attire.
Special Requirements: May be required to work overtime and in locations outside of the City. Inclement weather may affect availability of work.
HOW TO APPLY:
City and County of San Francisco employment applications for this position will be accepted through an on-line process only. A resume and cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications must be attached to the online application. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed applications will not be accepted. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to begin the application process.
• Click and select 7346 Painter (TEX-7346-100768)
• Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
• Click on “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or on “I have REGISTERED PREVIOUSLY”
• Follow instructions given on the screen.
To submit resume using the online application:
• Select the “Resume” tab in the online application
• Follow instructions given on screen
To submit cover letter using the online application:
• Select the “Other” tab in the online application
• Choose “Upload” as your method of submittal
• Click on “Upload Attachment”
• Follow instructions given on screen
If you are having trouble attaching your resume and cover letter to the online application, you may submit by fax to 415.581.5120, ATTN: 7346 Painter (TEX-7346-100768). Resume will not be accepted in lieu of completing the online application.
Computer kiosks are available for the public from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to file online applications in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco and in the lobby of SFMTA Human Resources office, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by e-mail. It is their responsibility to ensure that their registered e-mail address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses: (@sfgov.org, @sfmta.com).
Upon successful submittal of the application online, the applicant will receive a notification on the screen, as well as in the applicant’s e-mail inbox, acknowledging the receipt of the application.
If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, please contact us at 415.701.2471 between 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or by e-mail at Connie.Poon@sfmta.com.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying experience and education at any point in the application and/or departmental selection process. Written verification (proof) of qualifying experience must verify that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications stated on the announcement. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying name of employee, dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Commission Rules. Experience claimed in self-employment must be supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to the minimum qualifications of the position. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupations and total earnings must be submitted. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
Qualified applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must contact the Agency by phone at 415.701.2471 or, if hearing impaired at 415. 701.5043 (TTY) or in writing to the SFMTA Human Resources, Operations Section, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103 (specify 7346 Painter (TEX-7346-100768)).
Applicants are responsible for updating their email address or mailing address. Contact Information must be updated online at http://www.jobaps.com/sf by clicking on “Update My Contact Info” and logging into your account. If updating contact information online, applicants must contact the analyst at 415.701.2471 immediately to inform them of the change. Failure to do so may result in the loss of eligibility.
Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
Employee Wellness Program
The SFMTA strives to be your employer of choice by providing an environment that supports your personal health & wellbeing with physical, nutritional, mental/emotional and financial resources.
Since 2010 the SFMTA has been providing worksite wellness activities, as well as providing recognition opportunities to those individuals who successfully achieve personal milestones in wellness.
For more details on the Wellness Program, please visit Employee Wellness Program Description page.
MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
As a selected candidate for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a selected candidate. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are a selected candidate, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.