9910 WORKREATION - (Public Service Trainee)
|Department||Recreation and Parks|
|Date Opened||12/14/2016 09:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/11/2017 4:30:00 PM|
|Salary||$13/hour ($14/hour effective July 1, 2017)|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
This announcement has been amended to clarify the program's age requirements.
Now in our 58th year, the WORKREATION program has offered local young people the opportunity to become a part of the workforce, tackle new challenges, learn responsibility, professionalism and gain valuable job skills.
JOB TYPES AND DUTIES
Eligible high school age students can apply to one of several types of WORKREATION jobs. The different types of jobs include:
1) Day Camp Assistant: Apply to work in one of Recreation and Parks summer day camp programs. Help with recreation activities including sports, arts & crafts, cooking, field trips, and special events.
2) Recreation Center or Swimming Pool Assistant: Work at a Recreation Center or Swimming Pool. You will help with programs including set up and/or breakdown for events, providing customer service, administrative tasks such as data entry, working with the public, and maintaining the facility.
3) Office Assistant: Help with clerical tasks at our administrative headquarters in Golden Gate Park (the McLaren Lodge). Conduct data entry, filing, answer phone calls, and other clerical work. LIMITED POSITIONS AVAILABLE.
4) Gardening Assistant: Assist park maintenance staff with keeping our parks clean, safe, and beautiful. LIMITED POSITIONS AVAILABLE.
For more information on how to apply for one of these jobs, please see below.
The basic work week is around 20 hours weekly. Schedules will vary depending on the assignment. Tentatively, the summer 2017 program will run late-May through mid-August 2017.
Employees must attend mandatory workshops, trainings, and orientation sessions. Work schedules may include weekends and evenings. These positions are subject to budgetary constraints.
Appointment type: Temporary Exempt.
1. Applicant must be an enrolled high school student AND be 14 years or older and under 18 years of age by May 31, 2017. (Verification of age will be required.)
2. Applicant must possess a Social Security Card, valid picture identification, and documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility, such as birth certificate, state issued proof of identity or proof of a legal right to work in the United States.
3. Applicant must be a San Francisco resident OR attend school in San Francisco during the academic year 2015-2016 OR have a parent who works in San Francisco (Proof may be requested at any time).
All applicants MUST be able to work at least 15-20 hours per week between the hours of 8am - 6pm AND not plan on missing more than 1 week of work due to vacation, summer school, or other activities.
*Successful candidates will be required to obtain a Work Permit. HOWEVER, students should NOT request a work permit until notified of a job offer.
*Successful applicants will be offered employment on an as-needed basis and serve at the pleasure of the Appointing Officer.
How To Apply
To apply for a job in the WORKREATION program, all applicants must:
1) Complete an online application & supplemental questionnaire. To access the application, click on the link at the bottom of this announcement.
2) Fill out the following survey indicating your job preference: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y5V9NLS
Applications must be submitted by Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 4:30 PM. Hand delivered or faxed applications will NOT be accepted.
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the job announcement: 9910 (WORKREATION) Public Service Trainee - TEX-9910-902021)
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the analyst, Steve Woo, at 415-831-2775, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All completed applications will be reviewed in detail. Selected students will be invited to interview on one of the dates listed below. Previous paid or volunteer experience with the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department does NOT guarantee employment.
WORKREATION interviews will be held at the County Fair Building (1199 9th Avenue @ Lincoln), February 7 - 17, 2017.
We appreciate your understanding as we cannot accommodate interviews outside of these dates. Please plan accordingly.
Employment processing for applicants selected for a WORKREATION job will be April 1, 2017 and April 8, 2017 at 501 Stanyan Street.
1. While it may seem helpful, parents, guardians, teachers or counselors may NOT prepare or submit the application on behalf of the student. The information provided on the application and supplemental application will be used to screen applicants and should come from and be prepared by the student directly to ensure accuracy.
2. Please keep a copy of the email confirmation notice that verifies the application was submitted as well as copies of the application material and any other documents submitted. The Recreation and Park Department is not responsible for unsubmitted or misdirected applications sent to the wrong recruitment or other city departments. Without documented proof of timely submission, applications in question will not be considered.
3. Please be sure to maintain the e-mail account associated with your JobAps account. To ensure that important information does not get directed into a 'Bulk Mail' or 'SPAM' folder, applicants are reminded to allow messages from the following City and County e-mail extensions: @sfgov.org. The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department is not responsible for information that was sent to an invalid or closed e-mail account.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
Exam Type: TEX
Issued: December 14, 2016; Amended 1/3/2017
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 902021
REC/ SW/ 415-831-2775