The Forest Pest Outreach Assistant will promote public awareness of forest pest issues through targeted outreach. Outreach will focus on high profile forest pests such as Asian longhorned beetle and Emerald ash borer and the risk of spreading these pests through firewood movement. The goals are to increase awareness of invasive forest pests, encourage the public to report possible new infestations, and decrease activities that pose a high risk of introducing a new pest.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Gathers, organizes, and formats information related to an agency's goals, objectives and services.
- Promotes an agency's image consistent with the overall direction of the agency.
- Coordinates timely and accurate responses and information to citizens, community groups or governmental agencies.
- Encourages participation in the use of agency services.
- Coordinates and conducts public meetings, media events or educational programs.
- Ensures a mutual sharing of information with other agencies, media and the general public.
- May supervise staff.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Public Information Officer
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Experience in public relations, media relations or communications which includes establishing and promoting a positive image with the public, informing or influencing specific audiences through the use of internal and external communications such as public forums, journalism, writing, marketing, advertising, promotions, or special events.
- Experience in data collection which includes collecting, compiling and maintaining data from multiple sources such as files, records, databases, customers, staff or others.
- Experience in oral presentations.
- Experience in interpreting laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
Additional Posting Information
This position will have Statewide responsibilities which requires travel throughout the State. The State of Delaware provides transportation services to State agencies.
Conditions of Hire
As a condition of hire you must possess a drivers license.
The application is evaluated based upon a rating of training and experience.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.