The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position operates light, medium, and heavy equipment. Work involves requesting utility and other underground line locates to avoid damaging services; operates backhoe/loader, excavator, and other heavy equipment to dig trenches to grade at construction sites; using hand tools and small powered equipment such as shovels and saws; making sure tools and equipment are available and in working condition; and digging water & sewer mains and services, making repairs. This position also takes responsibility for crews when the Labor Crew Chief II is not present, provides related training, and serves as the competent person on the job site.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Preform pre-trip/post inspections on equipment.
• Use of trenching and shoring equipment
Assesses job site and requests utility and other underground line locates to avoid damaging services.
• Puts up and takes down safety zone equipment. Properly setup and breakdown traffic control safety zones.
• Operates backhoe/loader, excavator, and other heavy equipment to dig trenches to grade at construction sites.
• Digs and repairs water & sewer mains and services.
• Uses hand tools and small powered equipment such as shovels and saws.
• Operates trucks and trailers; safely loads and unloads heavy equipment, materials, and supplies.
• Ensures tools/equipment are available and in good operating condition each day.
• Performs work to meet safety regulations and quality/production standards
• Assumes responsibility for the crew when the Labor Crew Chief II is absent.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of basic computer skills
• Ability to follow instructions
• Apply safe work practices
• Knowledge of how to dig trenches to grade at construction sites.
• Knowledge of trenching and shoring.
• Knowledge of operating equipment related to job functions.
• Skill to communicate, both verbally or in writing.
• Skill in operating light to heavy equipment, such as backhoe/loaders, excavators, trucks, trailers, etc.
• Skill in properly using/caring for basic hand tools and small powered equipment such as shovels and saws.
• Ability to request utility and other underground line locates.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, and general public.
• Ability to work in a team.
• Ability to train others.
• Ability to resolve conflicts.
The work is medium work and requires applying 30 pounds of force frequently and exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, manual dexterity, grasping, handling, perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, distinguishing among sounds, kneeling, lifting, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, standing, stooping, talking, and walking.
- High school diploma or
completion of GED from an accredited school.
(2) years of related work experience operating heavy equipment.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
valid driver’s license.
(or obtain within required timeframe of hire date) a Class A commercial
driver’s license (CDL) with Tankers endorsement.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.