The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, real estate services, landscape management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is in the General Services Department, In- House Planning & Design section of the Engineering Services Division.
This position is responsible for effective and efficient implementation of all assigned transportation infrastructure projects, management of staff, and other planning and design assignments.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish design section work plans, goals and objectives
- Supervise and provide direction and guidance to supporting staff
- Oversee the allocation of the project budgets and resources, monitor project progression and evaluate project performance
- Support the Division Manager and City Engineer in establishing strategic plans, goals, and objectives for the work of the In-House Planning & Design section
- Assist partner departments such as the Charlotte Department of Transportation, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Department and Neighborhood and Housing Services in developing and maintaining a prioritized listing of projects and project cost estimates for programming into the City’s Community Investment Plan (CIP)
- Participate as a standing member of the Engineering Services Division Leadership Team working to meet City goals
- Assist the Engineering Services Division Manager in leading the division
- Serve the needs of one of Engineering Services primary partner departments, the Charlotte Department of Transportation and develop and maintain an exemplary professional relationship with appropriate CDOT contacts and act as the primary point of contact for all matters relating to assigned transportation projects.
- Model General Services’ standards for customer service for both internal and external customers, and establish customer service and project performance expectations of In-House Planning and Design section employees
- Update and maintain division’s planning and design standards for issuance to In-House Planning & Design and consultant project designers
- Explore and identify ways to expand the effectiveness and efficiency of the in-house planning and design section as well as develop and implement appropriate process improvements
- Lead staff to develop and expand fields of specialty to increase the in-house section’s breath of services
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Land Development Division to provide design services as needed to maintain the city’s Land Development Standards Manual
- Supervise, lead, and mentor professional and paraprofessional engineering staff
- Provide expert technical advice, information, and consultation to consultants, contractors, engineers, other City officials, and the public regarding applicable procedures, regulations, and standards
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent supervisory and leadership skills with the ability to lead a diverse team of engineers and technicians
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with other City employees and the public
- Effective computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office Products and experience and overview of CAD
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work and complete assignments with minimal supervision
- Engineering project planning and design experience demonstrating progressive responsibility in Civil Engineering or Municipal Capital Improvement projects with consistent past successes in Capital Project Planning and Design
- Progressively responsible leadership and organizational experience in Program Administration with a demonstrated ability to effectively direct and guide teamwork efforts
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) is required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and a minimum of five (5) years of related experience or a Master’s Degree in Engineering with three (3) years of experience.
$88,579 - $110,724 Commensurate with experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.