The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The City of Charlotte’s Innovation & Technology Department is hiring for the position of Business Intelligence Administrator
This position is primarily responsible for leveraging data warehouse and business intelligence services to advance the City’s use of data and analytics, including:
- Design and build analytics products using Tableau, SSRS, PowerBI, SharePoint or similar applications
- Build and maintain complex data and analytics solutions
- Extract, clean, manipulate and upload data
- Assist in the building, testing, and deployment of innovative data solutions
- Provide technical assistance to a broad range of users at all skill levels
- Assist in implementing and managing data server upgrades in the development, test and production server environments
- Collaborate with data professionals with diverse skillsets utilizing multiple data visualization and management tools to solve citywide problems
This position reports to the Data Program Manager in Innovation & Technology and is an integral part of citywide Innovation & Data initiatives.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with customers and teammates to provide accessible data and business intelligence solutions that support decision-making, problem-solving, and resident engagement
- Provide excellent customer service while partnering with departments to implement the City’s Enterprise Data Architecture, a scalable framework for sharing, accessing, and publishing data across the organization
- Assist with the administration of the Business Intelligence Infrastructure (Data Warehouse, Tableau Server, SSRS/PowerBI)
- Design and implement visual analytics and enterprise reporting solutions (eg: reports, dashboards, that support decision-making
- Actively engage in various citywide data and technology teams to troubleshoot issues, deliver projects, and promote the innovative use of data across the city.
- Build and maintain core components to enterprise-wide data and analytics: Workflows, Documentation, Architecture, Metadata, ETL automation (i.e. SSIS) and QA/QC processes
- Design and deliver end-user training and provide regular technical assistance to customers
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field related to data and spatial data analysis.
- Strong self-leadership, motivation, and customer service skills to work across a variety of departments, projects, and programs.
- Demonstrated ability to think analytically to analyze data, troubleshoot issues, and creatively solve problems.
- Ability to understand complex business and technical and business requirements to customize solutions to meet customer needs
- Foundational understanding of Data Warehousing, Data Architecture, and Server Administration
- Proficiency in SQL to extract, transform, and load data in Microsoft SQL databases
- Experience in supporting one or more of the following Business Intelligence / Data Warehouse tools: Tableau Server, SSRS/PowerBI, Wherescape, Informatica
- Technical skills and knowledge of best practices to develop data visualizations with tools such as: SQL Server Reporting Services, Tableau, and/or PowerBI.
- Ability to effectively train others, complete documentation, and present on projects and solutions as needed.
Bachelor's degree with three (3) years of relevant work experience. Must have a degree in Computer Science or related field
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees. Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.