The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Supervise and participate in the work of Airport Operations Center Coordinators. Work includes organizing shift resources, assigning tasks, training, scheduling, conducting performance reviews, and relaying and following complex oral and written instructions. Act decisively and exercise independent judgment within established rules, regulations and procedures. Requires excellent organizational and leadership skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships while representing Charlotte Douglas International Airport in a professional, positive manner.
• Must be able to work assigned shifts, including holidays, and report back to work during emergencies and inclement weather. Schedule subject to change and overtime.
• Valid drivers’ license required and the ability to qualify for and maintain a City driving permit.
• Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supervise and participate in the work of Airport Operations Center Coordinators, including: organizing shift resources, assigning tasks, training, scheduling, conducting performance reviews, and relaying and following complex oral and written instructions.
2. Provide assistance to tenants, contractors, the traveling public and airport employees. Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
3. Respond calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Act decisively and exercise independent judgment within established rules, regulations and procedures, to ensure the safety of persons and security of property.
4. Assist Joint Operations Center Manager with 24/7/365 administrative duty officer responsibilities.
5. Communicate effectively verbally and in writing, including operating radio equipment.
6. Maintain accurate records and produce reports.
7. Support other Airport Operations Sections by performing assistance duties for irregular and emergency operations such as crowd control, fire watches, escorts, and other duties deemed necessary for continuity of operations.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of FAR Parts 139 and TSR Part 1542 required.
• Knowledge of ICS/NIMS required.
• Knowledge of airport operations and telecommunications skills.
• Knowledge of airport familiarity with locations and processes and emergency response.
• Skills to communicate clearly and effectively verbally in person, over telephone and two-way radio.
• Skills to communicate clearly and effectively in writing.
• Skills to effectively organize data and prioritize resources during routine and special operations.
• Skills in various computerized systems.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other agencies, tenants, employees and the public, representing CLT in a professional, positive manner.
• Ability to respond calmly and effectively in emergency and stressful situations. Must be able to assess situations quickly, objectively and determine the proper course of action within established rules, regulations and procedures.
• Ability to lead and motivate a diverse staff.
Prefer Bachelor's Degree in Aviation Management/Administration, Business Administration, Public Administration, or a field related to aviation plus three years of experience; or an Associate Degree in Aviation Management/Administration, Business Administration, Public Administration or a field related to aviation plus five years of experience; or a High School Diploma or Equivalent and seven years of experience is required. Work experience in Airport Operations at an FAR Part 139 certified airport and familiarity with Charlotte Douglas International Airport preferred.
High School Graduate or Equivalent and seven years related work experience
Associate's Degree and five years related work experience
Bachelor's Level Degree and three years related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.