The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is a highly respected law enforcement agency, both in our community and nationally. Our progressive department provides exciting opportunities for law enforcement professionals to develop partnerships with our citizens in order to prevent the next crime, and to enhance the quality of life within our community always treating people with fairness and respect. The department employs nearly 2,000 sworn officers and over 500 civilians serving a jurisdiction with close to 1 million people. Our employees are men and women from diverse backgrounds interested in meeting the needs of and serving an equally diverse community. The men and women of the CMPD are committed to providing the very best service possible and maintaining the high level of confidence this community has in us.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Customer/Revenue Service Assistant position works in the receipt and disbursement of monies and in related record keeping. This position involves the adoption, reclaim, license sales, receiving of stray and owner released animals and the ability to communicate to the public needing any general or specific information about such animals.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Accurately process payments to the ACB received via the mail and over the counter using both computerized remittance processing terminals and manual procedures
- Accurately receives money in cash or check from public in payment of adoptions, reclaims, licenses, citations and permits
- Prepares, maintains and reviews a variety of records and reports related to collections received
- Deals tactfully and courteously with the public and maintains a professional relationship with fellow employees
- Confer with customers or supervising personnel to address questions, problems, or requests for service or equipment
- Record and maintain files or records of customer requests, work or services performed, charges, expenses
- Complete general financial activities, such as processing accounts payable, reviewing invoices, collecting cash payments, or issuing receipts
- Compile, copy, sort, and file records of office activities, business transactions, and other activities
- Keep records of payments received, using logbooks or computers and generate computerized reports
- Prepares injury reports for bites or other injuries caused by an animal and interview both victim and owner, then issue citations accordingly
- Contact officer's, or consult with supervisor's, and dispatch to appropriate locations, according to specifications or needs
- Process stray and owner released animals by generating computer records
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
ADA and Other Requirements
- Principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- Excellent communication skills
- Administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, and other office procedures and terminology
- Laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, and agency rules
- Principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems
- Must be familiar with the operations of computerized data entry terminals
- Must possess some knowledge of basic accounting principles, especially internal controls as related to safe handling of monies
- Record detailed documentation providing accurate and accessible audit trails
- Understand and follow through on both oral and written instructions
- Exercise good judgment and self-control during stressful situations and peak workload periods
Positions in this class typically require: grasping, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
- Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, climbing, or walking extended periods of time
- Light to moderate lifting and carrying; some crouching, stooping, squatting, crawling, reaching, pushing, and pulling when performing tasks
- Adequate vision, hearing, and speech required
- Concentrated and attentive use of one or more senses (visual, audio, and other sensory modalities) for proof reading, data entry, tabulating data
- Ability to operate in an environment with frequent interruptions from people and or noises, which in return could result in some level of stress, fatigue, or strain
- Comprehensive of written information in work related documents
- Ability to hear, understand, and distinguish speech
- Work is performed in an indoor office environment with moderate exposure to atmospheric conditions; moderate exposure to environmental conditions (such as officers, community members, victims, etc.); and frequent exposure to computer screens, files and phone.
Experience in processing financial transactions.
High School Graduate or Equivalent
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.