The goal of the City of Charlotte's General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. the Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Seeking an Energy Specialist for the Facility Operations Division of the General Services Department. This position will be responsible for applying basic engineering fundamentals to heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems to maintain City buildings and facilities at there most energy efficient level. Work involves use of software and hardware in computers and microprocessors for systems design, programming, developing and modifying existing systems and programs, troubleshooting, and maintenance for the objective or creating an optimum system of operation. Work is performed under technical supervision of a registered certified energy manager.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs, develops and updates energy management programs with computer aid for large heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems
- Develops, modifies and writes automation systems computer programs
- Serves as liaison with facility automation systems representatives to coordinate equipment services
- Evaluates efficiency of current energy management programs
- Coordinates automation system operation with HVAC operating system personnel
- Assists with building energy audits and retro-commissioning to identify major energy consumption areas and optimize HVAC equipment operation
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Applicant must hold two of the three NC State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors License H1, H2 or H# Class l
- Applicant will be required to obtain PEM through the Energy Management Diploma Program at NCSU
- Basic engineering principles and practices
- Large heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, controls and psychometrics
- Operations of large-scale automation systems
- Microprocessor technology and programming
- Ability to work cooperatively with others
- Use a personal computer for report writing and spreadsheet calculation loads
- Communicate effectively with customers, clients and the public in face-to-face, one-to-one settings
- Translate procedures into computer programming language
- Must be willing and able to attend training as needed
- Ability to maintain a City driving permit
- Ten years of experience/knowledge on the proper sequence of operations for all types of HVAC systems
- In-depth knowledge to distinguish if installed HVAC equipment is operating properly and efficiently
- Direct hands-on experience troubleshooting, repairing and programming direct digital control systems in the field which includes: custom graphics interface design
- Factory training on DDC systems (Carrier i-Vu, Automated Logic ALC, Reliable Controls and Schneider StruxureWare)
- Seven (7) years work experience for applicants with a High School diploma/GED or Associate's Degree with five (5) years of relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of background, experience and skills necessary to perform the essential duties of the position
- $67,395 - $84,244 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check and drug screening. If an applicant does not pass the background screening, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.