Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Professional - Technology
The Center for Digital Government named Charlotte one of the top five digital cities in the nation. The City of Charlotte Innovation & Technology department (I&T) provides executive-level leadership, delivers technology services to city departments and partner agencies, and coordinates information technology initiatives across the organization to support, enhance and advance citizen service delivery. Charlotte Water Technology is a division of the I&T Department and directly supports Charlotte Water.
Charlotte Water Technology is seeking an Industrial Control System (ICS) Technology Manager to lead a team that is responsible for the operational technology infrastructure that supports our plant and field control systems. This team works in conjunction with the Charlotte Water Maintenance Division to provide 7x24 operational and life cycle technology support for our plant systems and related infrastructure. This cross functional team includes resources with systems design, systems administration, network, project management, and security responsibilities. The ICS Manager will facilitate active collaboration with other I&T teams to include Cyber Security, Network, Server to augment team skills and capacity to deliver the required services. Other essential activities include leading system planning, budget development, procurement, and managing costs across all activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervises the work of assigned personnel, including assigning and reviewing work, providing guidance, and conducting performance evaluations.
• Establishes and maintains an in-depth understanding of the Charlotte Water control system infrastructure.
• Manages a team that provides operations support 24 hrs. x 7 days a week.
• Provides daily monitoring and supervision of the Charlotte Water ICS systems and related infrastructure to ensure efficient and effective operations and uptime.
• Facilitates active collaboration between I&T and Charlotte Water Maintenance and Instrumentation, and plant operations teams.
• Performs project planning and service delivery, including incident requests and change management. Addresses any issues to minimize delays and avoid affecting project success. Manages outside vendors and service provider performance.
• Provides general planning and budgeting, including direct effort and coordination of internal and external resources.
• Provides system technical management, configuration, and new feature implementation and upgrades.
• Provides technical documentation, including technical specifications, system drawings, scopes of work, user procedures and processes, and user training materials.
• Facilitates regular technology roadmap reviews, industry best practices, system enhancement and/or end-of-life planning.
• Manages the lifecycle and daily operation ICS systems and infrastructure.
• Manages software licenses for servers, workstations, network equipment, and other technology infrastructure assets.
• Selects, licenses, and maintains listed technologies and vendor relationships.
• Identifies trends / recurring issues for long-term remediation. Reviews and approves team change request for impacts and compliance with process and procedures. Ensures requests are handled in a timely fashion in accordance with City service level agreements.
• Supports and coordinates work with the Cyber Security and other I&T technology teams in support of Charlotte Water ICS environment.
• Selects, licenses, and maintains listed technologies and vendor relationships.
• Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Principles and practices of employee supervision
• Principles of project management, with experience managing and coordinating infrastructure technology projects
• Computer server and desktop hardware configurations with direct attached and network storage to include installation, configuration, troubleshooting, and ongoing maintenance
• Scripting languages such as Transactional SQL, Python, PowerShell, and Batch
• Telemetry-oriented (point-to-point, mesh, etc.) network architectures and topologies, fiber optic, copper, and wireless networks
• Server and desktop hardware configurations with direct attached and network storage to include installation, configuration, troubleshooting, and ongoing maintenance
• Operating systems, Linux powered, and Microsoft desktop and server operating systems to include installation, configuration, troubleshooting, and ongoing maintenance
• Computer hardware and software troubleshooting and testing
• Functionality and operation of end-user technology devices, application systems, and infrastructure components
• Principles and practices of the design, installation, maintenance, and security of IP based data networks
• Researching needs and requirements, document and understand existing systems, and make decisions necessary to advance project needs
• Testing and evaluating hardware and software to determine efficiencies and compatibilities with existing systems
• Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
• Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
• Creating and monitoring budgets
• Organization and time management
• Project management or oversight
• Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions
• Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
• Organize work and provide task level or project related supervision of assigned team peers and contractors.
• Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
• Work at all levels of the organization
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Gather and document process, application, and infrastructure requirements.
• Read electrical and mechanical schematics and plans.
• Align ICS and enterprise standards for network, compute, storage, virtualization, and data protection platforms
• Manage outside vendors and service providers
• Minimum of three years of supervisory experience
• Experience configuring, installing and supporting Linux and /or Microsoft operating systems in server and workstation environments
• Experience configuring, installing, and supporting the VMware ESXisystem virtualization platform
• Experience in data center operations and /or network design and administration
• Proficiency in scripting languages such as Transactional SQL, Python, PowerShell, and Batch
• Experience providing technology support in an ICS environment.
• Experience managing and coordinating infrastructure technology projects
• General knowledge of Water and Wastewater Utility plant operations
• High School diploma or equivalent from an accredited school
• Eleven (11) years of experience in all facets of information technology support and strategic planning, including prior supervisory experience as well as knowledge of budget development and administration
• Associate degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
• Nine (9) years of experience in network design and administration, IT infrastructure and firewall support.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
• Seven (7) years of experience network design and administration, IT infrastructure and firewall support.
• Any equivalent combination of education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The city is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.