Storm Water Services' mission is to serve the City of Charlotte by improving surface waters and conveying rainwater safely through well-maintained storm drainage systems. Each year Storm Water Services invests $100+ million in capital improvements and staff manages hundreds of storm drainage improvement projects. Storm Water Services is one of the largest stormwater utilities in the Southeast with approximately 215,000 customer accounts and more than 200 full-time positions.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is part of the Storm Water Services Engineering and Design Division and is primarily responsible for providing project management skills and principles in conjunction with the planning, design and construction of storm drainage improvement and water quality enhancement projects.
This position is involved in managing engineering consultants that perform planning, design and construction administration of storm drainage improvement and water quality enhancement projects. This position will be responsible for managing multiple active projects of varying scope, complexity, and budget. Project budgets can range from $100,000 to over $5 million.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete technical review of consultant prepared planning reports, construction plans, cost estimates and contract specifications for technical competency, consistency and constructability issues.
- Manage/control project schedules, budgets and design requirements for storm drainage improvement projects.
- Serve as lead coordinator for clients and citizens on all assigned projects.
- Provide customer service by serving as key divisional and team resource.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to successfully perform project management tasks including the proactive management of the critical path in project initiation, planning, implementation, and closeout utilizing project management software.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, departments, City Officials, and the public.
- Working knowledge of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Stormwater Design Manual, City of Charlotte Lad Development Standards, NCDOT Standards and Specifications and other local ordinances, requirements and/or manuals.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to apply conflict resolution techniques and to work collaboratively and effectively with others.
- Proficient computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office Products (Word and Excel).
- Ability to interpret, analyze, prepare, and explain complex technical reports, data, technical specifications and recommendations.
- A valid driver’s license, a good driving record with the ability to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit.
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related field and three (3) years of progressive work experience in planning, design and construction of storm drainage systems.
- $76,519 - $95,648 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.