Storm Water Services' mission is to serve the City of Charlotte by improving surface waters and conveying rainwater safely through well-maintained storm drainage systems. Each year Storm Water Services invests $100+ million in capital improvements and staff manages hundreds of storm drainage improvement projects. Storm Water Services is one of the largest stormwater utilities in the Southeast with approximately 215,000 customer accounts and more than 200 full-time positions.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is part of the Storm Water Services Strategic Planning Team and is primarily responsible for ensuring that accurate and complete GIS data represents our storm water system. This position performs technical work related to the development and maintenance of large-scale GIS databases within an ArcSDE environment, and associated functions. The candidate will be highly skilled with the ArcGIS editing, georeferencing and spatial adjustment tools, and editing in an SDE multi-user database.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Input and edit data on stormwater assets in a versioned GIS enterprise database.
- Analyze and interpret civil construction plans, technical drawings, and specifications.
- Measure and document physical characteristics of storm drainage infrastructure in the field.
- Prepare cartographic exhibits.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of data and adherence with established standards.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the ESRI ArcGIS 10.x Desktop software suite, and general GIS principles and concepts.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
- Continuous and meticulous attention to detail.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, departments, City officials and the public.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to diagnose and solve problems.
- Communicate technical issues with individuals with varying degrees of computer familiarity.
- critical thinking
- Provide own transportation, a dependable passenger vehicle.
- A valid driver’s license and good driving record with the ability to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions and physically able to lift up to 50 lbs., walk at least two (2) miles per day (sometimes on rough terrain), stoop, bend, and climb.
- Prefer a combination of training and work experience in mobile GIS applications or field surveying.
- The position requires an Associate’s degree in Geography, Earth Science, Civil Engineering Technology, or related field and one year of related experience or equivalent combination of education, work experience, and relevant industry/job specific knowledge, skills, and/or certifications may be considered.
- $45,615 - $57,019 Commensurate With Experience.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.