Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Under the general direction of the Customer Service Administrative Officer III and the Account Services Supervisor, the Office Assistant V is responsible for the day-to-day administrative support of the Customer Service division. Administrative duties include but are not limited to: serve as back up payroll processor, managing requisitions and purchase orders, ordering uniforms, and performing a wide range of administrative duties. In addition, the OAV will be responsible for lobby area duties, such as, answering calls, providing customer service to guests and directing visitors to the appropriate area. This position will provide support to Account Services by assisting external and internal customers with water, sewer and storm water service questions, providing information and direction for new service requests, and providing additional support where needed.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist with processing payroll utilizing Kronos and PeopleSoft
• Enter requisitions into the Munis system and monitoring purchase orders
• Processing invoices for the division
• Assists and provide administrative support to the Division Manager and the Division Administrative Officer
• Ordering and maintaining uniforms and office supplies
• Preparing travel advance and reconciling travel authorizations and expense reports
• Create agenda and take minutes for Leadership Team meetings.
• Coordinates divisional meeting and events
• Perform other duties as needed
• Answer the front desk phone, answer citizen questions and direct calls to the appropriate area
• Provide direction to visitors, contractors, engineers, customers, etc. doing business at the building and ensuring proper security protocol is kept when directing visitors to their destination
• Provide backup assistance for New Services; inform customers of water and sewer connection availability, receive and administer new service applications and applicable fees
• Perform other duties as required by the section supervisor
• Experience with payroll processing systems (Kronos, PeopleSoft, etc.), Concur, and Munis applications.
• Must have strong oral and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and as a team member and provide customer service support.
Must have High School Diploma or equivalent with three years of experience or an Associate Degree with one year of experience.
$46,545.00 - $51,716.00 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.